YouGov
Get YouGov essential facts below. View Videos or join the YouGov discussion. Add YouGov to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share this resource on social media.
YouGov
YouGov Survey plc
Public limited company
Traded asLSEYOU
IndustryMarket research
Opinion polling
Founded2000; 19 years ago (2000)
FoundersStephan Shakespeare
Nadhim Zahawi
HeadquartersLondon, United Kingdom
Area served
Worldwide
Key people
Stephan Shakespeare (CEO)
Roger Parry (Chairman)
Revenue£116.6 million (2018)[1]
£19.7 million (2018)[1]
Number of employees
816 (2018)[1]
Websiteyougov.com

YouGov is an international Internet-based market research and data analytics firm, headquartered in the UK, with operations in Europe, North America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific.[2]

History

YouGov was founded in the UK in May 2000 by Stephan Shakespeare and future MP Nadhim Zahawi, at the time both active in the British Conservative Party. In 2001 they engaged BBC political analyst Peter Kellner, who became chairman, and then from 2007-2016, President.[3][4]

In April 2005, YouGov became a public company listed on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange.[5] Major shareholders of the company are BlackRock and Standard Life Aberdeen.[6]

Stephan Shakespeare has been YouGov's Chief Executive Officer since 2010.[7]Roger Parry has been YouGov's Chairman since 2007.[8] Since Peter Kellner's retirement, its methodology has been overseen by Stanford University professor Doug Rivers.[4]

YouGov is a member of the British Polling Council.[9]

Methodology

YouGov specialises in market research through online methods. The company's methodology involves obtaining responses from an invited group of Internet users, and then weighting these responses in line with demographic information. It draws these demographically-representative samples from a panel of 5 million people worldwide including over 800,000 people in the UK.[10] As YouGov's online methods use no field-force, its costs are lower than some face-to-face or telephone methods.

Expansions

In 2006 YouGov began expanding outside the UK through acquisitions and acquired Dubai-based research firm Siraj for $1.2 million plus an eventual earn out of $600,000. In 2007 they added Palo Alto, CA based US research firm Polimetrix for approximately $17 million, Scandinavian firm Zapera for $8 million and German firm Psychonomics for $20 million. In 2009 and 2010, YouGov expanded its US operations with two acquisitions; first buying Princeton, NJ research firm Clear Horizons for $600,000 plus an earn out of $2.7 million, then Connecticut-based research firm Harrison Group for $6 million with a $7 million earnout. In 2011, YouGov acquired Portland, OR-based firm Definitive Insights for $1 million with a potential $2 million earn out. In 2011, YouGov made its first organic expansion by opening an office in Paris, France. In January 2014, YouGov entered the Asia Pacific region with the acquisition of Decision Fuel for an estimated consideration of approximately £5 million.[11]

In 2010 YouGov bought a 20% state of sports media data company SMG Insight. In 2018 the company acquired the remaining 80% of SMG Insight's stock.[12] The new business was rebranded YouGov Sport.

See also

United Kingdom

United States

References

  1. ^ a b c "YouGov Preliminary Results 2018" (PDF). Retrieved .
  2. ^ "YouGov offices". Retrieved .
  3. ^ Kellner, Peter Jon. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (2014 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 2014.closed access
  4. ^ a b "YouGov President Peter Kellner to Step Down". MR Web. 2016-02-15.
  5. ^ "London Stock Exchange - YouGov". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved .
  6. ^ "YouGov - Shareholders". YouGov: What the world thinks.
  7. ^ "Zahawi stands for parliament and steps down as yougov ceo". Research Live. 2010-02-22.
  8. ^ "Parry takes post at YouGov". The Guardian. 2007-01-15.
  9. ^ "British Polling Council Officers and Members".
  10. ^ "YouGov Panel". Retrieved .
  11. ^ "Acquisition of Decision Fuel". Investegate. 2014-01-09. Retrieved .
  12. ^ Katie McQuater (25 May 2018). "YouGov fully acquires SMG Insight". Research Live.

External links


  This article uses material from the Wikipedia page available here. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

YouGov
 



 



 
Music Scenes