Get The First Sontarans essential facts below. View Videos
or join the The First Sontarans discussion
. Add The First Sontarans
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
The First Sontarans
The First Sontarans is a Big Finish Productions audio drama based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.
In the English countryside, in the year 1872, the Doctor stumbles upon the mysterious origins of the Sontarans.
- The Sontarans first appeared in the 1973 Third Doctor story, The Time Warrior. They have returned several times in both the classic series and the new series.
- Peri and the Sixth Doctor encountered Sontarans in the 1985 television story, The Two Doctors.
- The Sixth Doctor and Peri return to the moon, centuries later and after it has been colonized, in the 2006 audio story The Reaping. Both stories only entail a brief visit at the beginning of the first episode.
- The Doctor mentions that they are in the same year as the disappearance of the Mary Celeste. He witnessed this event in the 1965 television story, The Chase, featuring the First Doctor and the Daleks. The original version of The First Sontarans script involved the Mary Celeste.
- The Rutans are mentioned in most Sontarans stories, but rarely seen. One is featured in the 1977 Fourth Doctor television story, Horror of Fang Rock, as well as the 2009 Fifth Doctor audio story, Castle of Fear. Previously, the Sontarans and Rutans have only been in the same stories in novels, and the 2011 Eleventh Doctor computer game, The Gunpowder Plot.
- Andrew Smith wrote the 1980 Fourth Doctor television story, Full Circle.
- Dan Starkey has portrayed various Sontarans in several recent Doctor Who television and audio stories.
- This story was originally superseded by The Two Doctors.