TM Stevens with Stevie Salas in Berlin at Garbaty 2010
Thomas Michael "T.M." Stevens (born July 28, 1951) is an American bass guitarist from New York City. Stevens has worked with an array of rock, R&B, and pop acts as a session musician, and also leads his own groups and works as a solo performer.
Stevens recorded with his band Shocka Zooloo, a power trio that features Michael Barnes "Master Blaster" on guitar and Garry "G-Man" Sullivan on drums. Stevens, with the band Shocka Zooloo and earlier the band Out Of Control, has released seven albums, the most recent being Africans in the Snow for the SPV Steamhammer label.
Along with his work as both songwriter and producer, Stevens worked with other artists. Scheduling at least two European Shocka Zooloo tours each year, he also toured in 2004 with Jean Paul Bourelly and drummer John Blackwell (Prince). In Autumn 2005 he completed an Asian tour with Neil Zaza going directly into a lengthy European tour with Shocka Zooloo. Stevens finished 2005 with a collaboration with Carl Palmer and Andrea Braido in Italy and Russia which was followed by a European ELP tour in February 2006. In 2007, he was the touring bassist for The Headhunters. In March 2008 while on his solo tour his bus was attacked by fireworks thrown by a young fan, the young fan who could only be called JO due to legal reasons was charged with vandalism and given community work. In summer 2011 he joined the Bootsy Collins Funk Unity Tour.
Steven's vocals came about through James Brown's insistence that he not only play bass but sing on "Living in America" and on Brown's album, Gravity.
Stevens has recorded with many artists including:, Steve Vai, Neil Zaza, Cyndi Lauper, Little Steven, Tina Turner, Dan Hartman and Billy Joel. A former member of The Pretenders, Stevens recorded on the platinum album Get Close. He produced and arranged the album Tribute to Deep Purple According to New York on which included: Vinnie Moore, members of Living Colour and Bernie Worrell of Parliament-Funkadelic. Stevens performed on Joe Cocker's album, Unchain My Heart. Together with Narada Michael Walden he penned the Billboard hit "I Should Have Loved Ya".
His early jazz years brought him to play with the legendary jazz trumpeter, songwriter and bandleader Miles Davis.
Stevens has been a resident of West Long Branch, New Jersey. .
Stevens is often seen with Warwick basses, most notably 4-string neck-through Streamers. He has his own signature model, the Zooloo Warrior, which features images of African motifs on a bright colored background. His signature model also sports African styled "Mask" abalone inlays and a painted wenge neck.
Previously, he was using Cort bass guitars, his own signature model called Funkmachine and the A5 model.
TM is also a legend in the ranks of Dean Markley Strings where he has been an endorsee for over 20+ years.
Morley pedals has also given him a signature bass Wah Wah pedal with a painted picture of himself playing a bass and a text saying "fonk wah".
- Africans In The Snow (2007)
- Shocka Zooloo (2001)
- Limousine Drive (2001)
- Radioactive (1999)
- Black Night- Deep Purple Tribute According to New York (1997)
- Ground Zero Maxi Single (1996)
- Only You Maxi Single (1996)
- Sticky Wicked (1996)
- Boom (1995)
Recordings with other artists
- 2008 - The Headhunters - On Top
- 2008 - Temple Of Soul - Brothers in Arms
- 2008 - Swans In Flight - "Swans In Flight"
- 2005 - Travers & Appice - Live at the House of Blues
- 2004 - Travers & Appice - It takes a lot of balls
- 2004 - Victor Wooten - Soul Circus
- 2004 - Aina - Days of Rising Doom: The Metal Opera
- 2004 - Mindi Abair - Come as you are
- 2002 - 03 - 03
- 2002 - Jeff Pitchell and Texas Flood - Heavy Hitter
- 2001 - Syleena Johnson - Chapter 1: Love, Pain & Forgiveness
- 2000 - Steve Vai - The 7th Song: Enchanting Guitar Melodies - Archive
- 2000 - 2Pac - The Rose That Grew from Concrete
- 2000 - James Brown - Best of
- 1999 - Illegal Aliens - International Telephone
- 1999 - Bernie Worrell - Da Bomb
- 1999 - Nona Hendryx - Transformation: The Best of Nona Hendrix
- 1999 - Mark Whitfield - Take the Ride
- 1998 - Angelique Kidjo - Oremi + We Are One
- 1998 - JK - What's the Word
- 1998 - Stacy Lattisaw - Very Best of Stacy Lattisaw
- 1997 - Nicklebag - Mas Feedback
- 1997 - Billy Joel - Complete Hits Collection 1974-1997
- 1997 - Cissy Houston - He Leadeth Me
- 1996 - Mick Taylor - Shadow man
- 1996 - Narada Michael Walden - Ecstasy's Dance:The Best of Narada
- 1996 - Billy Squier - Reach for the Sky, the Anthology
- 1995 - Jean-Paul Bourelly - Tribute to Jimi
- 1995 - Curtis Stigers - Time Was
- 1995 - Gabrielle Roth - Tongues
- 1995 - American Babylon
- 1994 - Uptown Horns - Uptown Horns Revue
- 1994 - Gabrielle Roth - Luna
- 1994 - Big Bang - In the Beginning Was a Dr
- 1994 - hide - Hide Your Face
- 1993 - Massimo Riva - Matti come tutti
- 1993 - John Andrew Parks
- 1993 - Stevie Salas - "The Electric Pow Wow"
- 1993 - Steve Vai - Sex & Religion
- 1993 - Taylor Dayne - Send Me a Lover
- 1993 - Billy Joel - River of Dreams
- 1993 - Gabrielle Roth - Trance
- 1993 - Joe Cocker - Best of Joe Cocker
- 1992 - Taylor Dayne - Soul Dancing
- 1992 - Joe Cocker - Night Calls
- 1991 - Two Rooms - Celebrating the Songs of
- 1991 - Tina Turner - Simply the Best
- 1991 - Curtis Stigers - Curtis Stigers
- 1990 - Joe Cocker - Live!
- 1990 - Darlene Love - Paint Another Picture
- 1990 - Riot - The Privilege of Power
- 1989 - Very Special Christmas - Very Special Christmas
- 1989 - Tina Turner - Foreign Affair
- 1989 - Cyndi Lauper - Night to Remember
- 1989 - Taylor Dayne - Can't Fight Fate
- 1989 - Joe Cocker - One Night of Sin
- 1987 - Little Steven and the Disciples of soul - Freedom - no compromise
- 1987 - Joe Cocker - Unchain My Heart
- 1987 - Nona Hendryx - Female Trouble (Co wrote "Funky Land" B-side single)
- 1986 - Pretenders - Get Close
- 1986 - James Brown - Gravity
- 1986 - Gregory Abbott - Shake You Down
- 1986 - Billy Squier - Enough Is Enough
- 1986 - Lovebug Starski - House Rocker
- 1983 - Tramaine - Search Is Over
- 1983 - Gary Private - Secret Love
- 1982 - Yoshiaki MASUO - Mellow Focus
- 1980 - David Sancious - Just As I Thought
- 1980 - Yoshiaki MASUO - Masuo Live
- 1980 - Yoshiaki MASUO - Song is You and Me
- 1979 - Narada Michael Walden - Dance of Life (co-wrote the hit single "I shoulda loved ya")
- 1979 - Yoshiaki MASUO - Good Morning
- 1979 - Yoshiaki MASUO - Sunshine Avenue
- 1978 - Yoshiaki MASUO - Sailing Wonder