Sugar Hill Records is an American bluegrass and Americana record label.
It was founded in Durham, North Carolina in 1978 by Barry Poss and David Freeman, the owner of County Records and Rebel Records. Poss acquired full control of Sugar Hill in 1980 and owned the label until 1998, when he sold it to the Welk Music Group, owner of Vanguard Records. Poss stayed on as president, and in 2002 was promoted to chairman. Sugar Hill remained in Durham until 2007, when Poss moved the label to Nashville, Tennessee.
Among the many notable artists who have released albums on the label are Nickel Creek, Doc Watson, Townes Van Zandt, Ricky Skaggs, Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keen, Sam Bush and Dolly Parton. One of Parton's albums for Sugar Hill, Halos & Horns (2002), included a song called "Sugar Hill", which she wrote as a tribute to the label. In 2008, Welk Music Group appointed EMI as distributor of its labels including Sugar Hill.
In 2006, Sugar Hill executive Barry Poss won a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Americana Music Association.
The label was acquired by Concord Bicycle Music in April 2015.
Grammy Awards for Best Bluegrass Album
- 2002 - "Shine", from Little Sparrow, Dolly Parton, Best Female Country Vocal Performance
- 2003 - This Side, Nickel Creek, Alison Krauss (producer), and Gary Paczosa (engineer/mixer), Best Contemporary Folk Album
- 2006 - Fiddler's Green, Tim O'Brien, Best Traditional Folk Album
- 2007 - "Whiskey Before Breakfast", from Not Too Far from the Tree, Bryan Sutton and Doc Watson, Best Country Instrumental Performance
- 2010 - "Hummingbyrd" from Ghost Train: The Studio B Sessions, Marty Stuart, Best Country Instrumental Performance
- ^ a b Neil V. Rosenberg (2005). Bluegrass: A History. University of Illinois Press. pp. 376-. ISBN 978-0-252-07245-1.
- ^ Hoffman, Frank; Ferstler, Howard, eds. (2005). "Country Records (sic)". Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound (2nd ed.). CRC Press. pp. 245-246. ISBN 0-415-93835-X.
- ^ Goldsmith, Thomas, ed. (2004). "Introduction". The Bluegrass Reader. Champaign: University of Illinois Press. p. 24. ISBN 0-252-02914-3.
Hoffman, Frank; Ferstler, Howard, eds. (2005). "Sugar Hill (label) (II)". Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound (2nd ed.). CRC Press. p. 1078. ISBN 0-415-93835-X.
- ^ "EMI And Welk Group Announce Sales And Distribution Partnership" (Press release). 2008-06-30. Retrieved .
- ^ Schoenberger, John (2006-08-10). "Poss, Toussaint, Vaughan To Receive Lifetime Achievement Awards". Radio Monitor. San Francisco: AllBusiness.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Billboard "Concord and Bicycle Merge to Form Concord Bicycle Music, Acquires Vanguard and Sugar Hill Records", Billboard.com, 1 April 2015
- ^ "Wanda Jackson 'In the Studio' - Video". Rolling Stone. 2012-07-10. Retrieved .