Get Shani Wallis essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Shani Wallis discussion
. Add Shani Wallis
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Shani Wallis (born 14 April 1933) is a British-American actress and singer, who has worked in theatre, film, and television in both her native United Kingdom and in the United States. A graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, she is perhaps best known for her roles in the West End, and for the role of Nancy in the 1968 Oscar-winning film musical Oliver!.
Wallis was born in Tottenham, London, and made her first stage appearance at the age of four and later studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) on a scholarship and resumed her theatrical career appearing in many London and provincial productions. She made her theatrical debut in Call Me Madam at the London Coliseum (as "Princess Marie") with Anton Walbrook.
Wallis is a naturalised citizen of the United States, where she has lived for more than forty years. She married her agent Bernie Rich on 13 September 1968, and they have one daughter, Rebecca and two granddaughters. Wallis is a patron of the theatre charity the Music Hall Guild of Great Britain and America.
- Call Me Madam, London Coliseum (as Princess Marie)
- Wish You Were Here, London Casino
- Happy As A King, Princes Theatre, London (as Juliet)
- Wonderful Town (1953), London Casino (as Fay Tomkin)
- Irma La Douce (1961), Lyric Theatre (title role)
- Fine Fettle (1959), Palace Theatre
- Green Room Rags (1954), Princes Theatre
- The Dave King Show, London Hippodrome
- Aladdin, (pantomime), Streatham Hill Theatre (as Aladdin)
- King Cole (pantomime), Palace Manchester (as Miranda)
- Bells Are Ringing (musical) (1958), Princess Theatre, Melbourne
- Bus Stop (1958), Golders Green Hippodrome (as Cherie)
- You'll Be Lucky, Adelphi Theatre with Lauri Lupino Lane
- Cowardy Custard (1989), Theatre Royal Bath
- A Time for Singing (1966), Broadway Theater
- Finian's Rainbow (1958), New Shakespeare Theatre
- 42nd Street, Drury Lane Theatre
- Always (1996), Victoria Palace Theatre
- Call Me Madam - original London stage recording (1952)
- Wish You Were Here - original London stage recording (1953)
- Shani! EP (1960) - Philips BBE 12337 ("Personality", "Please Don't Say No", "Don't Take Your Love Away from Me", "There Goes My Heart")
- A Time for Singing (1966) - original Broadway cast recording
- I'm a Girl! LP (1967) - Kapp Records KS-3472
- Look to Love LP (1967) - Kapp Records KS-3527
- Oliver! (1968) - original film cast recording
- As Long As He Needs Me LP (1968) - Kapp Records KS-3573
- The Girl from Oliver LP (1969) - Kapp Records KS-3606
- ^ "I'd do anything to be a judge on I'd Do Anything ... but all they offered me was a one-minute slot, says the original Nancy", Daily Mail (online edition), 22 March 2008. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- ^ "Our Treasured Patrons", The Music Hall Guild of Great Britain and America (online). Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- ^ Princess Theatre, Melbourne theatre programme (1958)