Get Shahir Krishnarao Sable essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Shahir Krishnarao Sable discussion
. Add Shahir Krishnarao Sable
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Shahir Krishnarao Sable
Krishnarao Ganpatrao Sable, popularly known as Shahir Sable (3 September 1923 – 20 March 2015), was a Marathi language folk artist from Maharashtra, India. He was an accomplished singer, writer, playwright, performer, Loknatya (Folk theater) producer-director.
Shahir Sable was born in a small village called Pasarni, in the Wai taluka of district Satara to Shri Ganpatrao Sable in 1923. He also starting playing flute in the childhood. After getting primary schooling at birthplace, he was moved to his maternal uncle to Amalner where he studied till 7th. He left the school soon. At Amalner, he was very close to Sane Guruji. He spend lot of his time with Sane Guruji during freedom struggle. With his shahiri, he started making contribution in the struggle. He also started "Jagruti Shahir Mandal" during that time.
- Maharashtrachi Lokadhara (Folk dances of Maharashtra) - Maharashtrachi Lokadhara had performed all over India as a renowned troupe formed by Shahir Sable showcasing all native dance forms of Mahrashtra. He gave rebirth to some of the old traditions of fork like Lavani, Balyanruttya, Kolinruttya, Gondhalinruttya, Manglagaur, Vaghyamurali, Vasudeo, Dhangar etc.
- Adhi Ganala Rani Aan Na]
- Are Krishna Are Kanha
- Athshe Khidkya Navshe Daara
- Garjaa Maharashtra Majha
- Hay Pavlay Dev Majha Malhari
- Jezurichya Khanderaya
- Maharashtra Jai Maharashtra Jai
- Navra Nako Ga Bai
- Run Zun Vaajantri
- Sahyadricha Sinha Garjato
- Ved Lagale
- Ya Go Dandyavarna Boltoy
- Andhala Daltay - Shahir Sable staged this farcical play highlighting the sorry plight of the Marathi speaking residents of Mumbai. The lore has it that the play was so impactful that it led to the formation of the Shivsena, a political party safeguarding the rights of the native Marathi populace.
- His son Devdatta Sable is a famous Marathi music composer with famous songs like "Hi Chaal Turu Turu" and "Manaachyaa Dhundit" and his grand son Shivdarshan Sable Son of Devdatta Sable is a noted film director and producer who directed Marathi movies like ?Ajab Lagnachi Gajab Gosht?, ?Canvas? and ?Rang Mananche? He is also produced and directed Marathi dramas ?Parampara.com? and ?Mii and Tee?. He is a producer of Marathi Psycho thriller drama ?Talyat-Malyat?.
- His daughter Charusheela Sable is a Marathi actress of repute.
- His son in law Ajit Vachani was a famous Indian film and television actor who married to Charusheela Sable
- His grandson - the noted Marathi film director Kedar Shinde.
Awards & Recognition
Padma Shri Award - India's fourth highest civilian honour
- 1984: Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
- 1988: Shahir Amar Sheikh Puraskar
- 1990: President, 70th Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Natya Sammelan, Mumbai
- 1990: President, Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Shahir Parishad, Mumbai
- 1990: Maharashtra Gaurav Puraskar
- 1994: Sant Namdev Puraskar
- 1997: Satara Bhushan Puraskar
- 1997: Shahir Patthe Bapurao Puraskar
- 1997: Maharashtra Rajya Gaurav Puraskar
- 1998: Shri Krishnarao Ganpatrao Sable has been awarded Padma Shri award (India's fourth highest civilian honour) for his dedication in the field of Arts in 1998.
- 2001: Best Singer award from Maharashtra State Govt.
- 2002: P Sawlaram Puraskar
- 2002: Shahir Pharande puraskar
- 2005: Maharashra Bhushan award by Maharashtra Times
- 2006: Maharashtra Ratna puraskar
- 2012: Lokshahir Vittal Umap Mrudgandh Lifetime Achievement award 
He died in his residence at Mumbai on 20th Match 2015 at the age of 94.