RE/Search Publications is an American magazine and book publisher, based in San Francisco, founded by its editor V. Vale in 1980. In a few references Andrea Juno was also credited as an editor. However it was the successor to Vale's earlier punk rock fanzine Search & Destroy (1977-1979), which was started with $200 provided to Vale by Allen Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti.RE/Search itself began as a tabloid-sized magazine.
monochrom's Arse Elektronika anthologies "pr0nnovation?" and "Do Androids Sleep With Electric Sheep?" (published by RE/Search and monochrom)
The debut issue of Search & Destroy (1977), named after the Stooges song, focused on the emerging punk and new wave scene, with articles on Mabuhay Gardens, the hottest venue for punk in the city, and interviews with the local bands Crime, Vermilion, and the Nuns.
The first issue of RE/Search (1980) had photographs by Ruby Ray and articles on Factrix, The Slits, conspiracies (written by Jay Kinney), Young Marble Giants, Boyd Rice's NON, Cabaret Voltaire, Sun Ra, flashcards, Japan, J. G. Ballard, Julio Cortázar, rhythm & noise, Soldier of Fortune Magazine, Throbbing Gristle, nuclear disaster, Situationism, Octavio Paz, and "punk prostitutes". It was distributed by Rough Trade. Following the third issue, issues 4 and 5 were collected as a single volume, a "special book issue". Subsequent issues all retained the book format.
RE/Search has published books on various underground topics. Titles include Pranks, Incredibly Strange Films, and Modern Primitives, and the subject matter includes profiles of William S. Burroughs, J. G. Ballard, and others.
RE/Search was the subject of a special issue of the European Journal of American Studies (August 2011, Vol. 30 issue 2), including an examination of "the growth and decline of RE/Search as a commercial enterprise dedicated to documenting and, in effect, marketing selected countercultural trends."
Both artist and musician Florian-Ayala Fauna and science fiction author Bruce Sterling are sponsors for the RE/Search newsletter.
Search & Destroy
- Search & Destroy #1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11: Tabloid format zine. RE/Search Publications, 1977–1979.
RE/Search numbered volumes
- RE/Search #1,2 and 3: Tabloid format zine. RE/Search Publications, 1980–1981.
- RE/Search #4/5: William S. Burroughs/Brion Gysin/Throbbing Gristle. RE/Search Publications, 1982. ISBN 0-9650469-1-5
- RE/Search #6/7: Industrial Culture Handbook. RE/Search Publications, 1983. ISBN 0-940642-07-7
- RE/Search #6/7: Industrial Culture Handbook, Limited Hardback Edition. RE/Search Publications, 2006. ISBN 978-1-889307-16-9
- RE/Search #8/9: J. G. Ballard. RE/Search Publications, 1984. ISBN 0-940642-08-5
- RE/Search #10: Incredibly Strange Films RE/Search Publications, 1986. ISBN 0-940642-09-3
- RE/Search #11: Pranks!. RE/Search Publications, 1986. ISBN 0-9650469-8-2
- RE/Search #12: Modern Primitives. RE/Search Publications, 1989. ISBN 0-940642-14-X
- RE/Search #13: Angry Women. RE/Search Publications, 1992. ISBN 0-940642-24-7
- RE/Search #14: Incredibly Strange Music Vol. I. RE/Search Publications, 1993. ISBN 0-940642-22-0
- RE/Search #15: Incredibly Strange Music Vol. II. RE/Search Publications, 1994. ISBN 0-940642-21-2
- RE/Search #16: The RE/Search Guide to Bodily Fluids, Paul Spinrad 1994. ISBN 0-940642-28-X reissued by Juno Books 1999. ISBN 1-890451-04-5
Other RE/Search titles
- ^ Carpenter, Susan (August 13, 2002), "RE/Search goes to the source's mouth to document fringe culture", Los Angeles Times, pp. E.1, retrieved 2010
- ^ http://www.abaa.org/book/659516377
- ^ http://www.ebay.com/itm/RE-SEARCH-issue-1-1980-original-zine-magazine-Throbbing-Gristle-Research-/261821792488
- ^ Lucas, Michael (2011-08-30). "RE/Search in context". European Journal of American Culture. 30 (2): 83-98. doi:10.1386/ejac.30.2.83_1. ISSN 1466-0407. Retrieved .
- ^ Sterling, Bruce (September 30, 2017). "V. Vale's RE/Search newsletter #165". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Sterling, Bruce (October 12, 2017). "Welcome to V. Vale's RE/SearchNewsletter #166". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Sterling, Bruce (October 18, 2017). "V. Vale's RE/Search Newsletter #167, October 2017 Part 2". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Sterling, Bruce (November 10, 2017). "V. Vale's RE/Search Newsletter #168". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Sterling, Bruce (November 17, 2017). "V. Vale's RE/Search Newsletter #169, Part Two". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ Sterling, Bruce (December 2, 2017). "WELCOME TO V. VALE’s RE/SEARCH NEWSLETTER #170, December 2017". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved 2018.