Get Qbuzz essential facts below. View Videos or join the Qbuzz discussion. Add Qbuzz to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share this resource on social media.

IndustryPublic transport
FoundedApril 2008
FounderRob van Holten
Leon Struijk
RevenueEUR213 million (2016)
EUR9 million (2016)
OwnerFerrovie dello Stato Italiane
Number of employees
2,100 (2017)

Qbuzz is a public transport company in the Netherlands that operates services in Utrecht, Drenthe and Groningen. Founded in 2008, it was a 100% subsidiary of Nederlandse Spoorwegen (the Dutch National Railway Operator) between 2013 and 2017. It is currently owned by Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane (the Italian National Railway Operator).


Qbuzz was founded in 2008 by former Connexxion directors Rob van Holten and Leon Struijk.[1] Having initially had a 49% shareholding, Nederlandse Spoorwegen purchased the remaining 51% in April 2013.[2][3]

In March 2015, Qbuzz was awarded a 15-year concession to operate services in the Limburg region from December 2016. However, after the discovery of irregularities during the tender process, the contract was awarded to Arriva.[4][5][6]

In July 2016, Nederlandse Spoorwegen announced its intention to sell the business.[7] In July 2017 Busitalia (part of Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane) purchased the company.[8]


In December 2008, Qbuzz started operating bus services in Friesland and Rotterdam.[9] Upon being re-tendered, the Friesland services passed to Arriva in December 2016.[10]

In December 2009, Qbuzz won the concession to operate bus services in Groningen and Drenthe until December 2019.[10][11] In December 2011, Qbuzz began operating the bus and sneltram services in Utrecht trading as U-OV until December 2023.[1][12][13]

In January 2018 Qbuzz was selected by the province of Zuid-Holland as preferred bidder for a contract which combines the operation of MerwedeLingelijn train service on the Geldermalsen - Dordrecht route with the provision of local bus services. On 9 December 2018, Qbuzz officially took over services from Arriva on the MerwedeLingeLijn.[14]


As at March 2016, Qbuzz operated 686 buses and 27 trams.[15]


  1. ^ a b Connexxion, Arriva and Qbuzz NRC Handelsblad 2 September 2011 (Dutch)
  2. ^ NS obtains remaining share in Qbuzz Nederlandse Spoorwegen February 2014
  3. ^ Qbuzz Abellio
  4. ^ NS uncovers tendering irregularities Railway Gazette International 29 April 2015
  5. ^ Arriva wins re-awarded Limburg operating contract Railway Gazette International 3 June 2015
  6. ^ Arriva delighted as it profits from scandal at rival Abellio The Daily Telegraph 9 June 2015
  7. ^ NS puts Qbuzz up for sale Railway Gazette International 11 July 2016
  8. ^ Busitalia buys Qbuzz, Dutch public transport services company Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane 13 July 2017
  9. ^ Qbuzz had to get out of the way De Telegraaf 13 December 2008 (Dutch)
  10. ^ a b Qbuzz loses ground in the north RTV Drenthe 11 August 2016 (Dutch)
  11. ^ Free travel with Qbuzz Groningen Provence (Dutch)
  12. ^ Qbuzz wins Utrecht sneltram concession Railway Gazette International 26 October 2010
  13. ^ BRU selects Qbuzz to operate bus and light rail in Utrecht Global Mass Transit 26 October 2010
  14. ^ https://sliedrecht24.nl/qbuzz-ook-nieuwe-vervoerder-reizigers-op-r-net-merwedelingelijn/
  15. ^ Abellio facts & figures Abellio 29 March 2016

External links

Media related to Qbuzz at Wikimedia Commons

  This article uses material from the Wikipedia page available here. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.



Music Scenes