|"Umbrella" is a song recorded by Barbadian singer Rihanna, featuring a rap verse by Jay-Z. The song was written by The-Dream, Christopher Stewart, Kuk Harrell and Jay-Z, and was produced by Stewart for Rihanna's third studio album, Good Girl Gone Bad (2007). The song was originally written with recording artist Britney Spears in mind, however her label rejected it. "Umbrella" is a pop and R&B song and lyrically it refers to a romantic and platonic relationship and the strength of that relationship. It is also listed on The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time at 412.
"Umbrella" was acclaimed by music critics, many of whom appreciated the "ella, ella" hook as well as the convincing vocals with which she delivered the chorus. Entertainment Weekly ranked the song number one on the 10 Best Singles of 2007, while Rolling Stone and Time listed the song at number three on the 100 Best Songs of 2007. The song has earned Rihanna several awards and nominations. In 2007, the song won two awards at the MTV Video Music Awards, when it was nominated for four. At the 50th Grammy Awards, "Umbrella" also earned Rihanna and Jay-Z a Grammy Award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration in addition to receiving nominations for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.
The song serves as the lead single to the album, and was released worldwide on March 29, 2007 through Def Jam Recordings. "Umbrella" was a commercial success, topping the charts in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. In the United Kingdom, where the song's chart performance generated controversy when the country was experiencing excessive flooding and large amounts of rain at the time, it is deemed an iconic song and was one of the most played songs on radio in the 2000s (decade). It managed to stay at number one on the UK Singles Chart for ten consecutive weeks, the longest run at number one for any single of that decade. The single was one of the highest digital debuts in the United States and remained at the top of the US Billboard Hot 100 for seven consecutive weeks.
The single's accompanying music video was directed by Chris Applebaum and features Rihanna's nude body covered in silver paint. The video earned Rihanna a Video of the Year at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards and Most Watched Video on MuchMusic.com at MuchMusic Video Awards. Along with countless amateurs, "Umbrella" has been covered by several notable performers from a variety of musical genres, including Taylor Swift, OneRepublic, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, Vanilla Sky and The Baseballs. Rihanna performed the song at the 2007 MTV Movie Awards, 2008 BRIT Awards and was the closing song of the Good Girl Gone Bad, Last Girl on Earth, and Loud Tours.
The Nintendo DSi is a handheld gaming device with two screens released by Nintendo. The Nintendo DSi was first made available on 1 November 2008, when it was released in Japan. It was later made available to Australia, Europe, and North America in April of 2009.
Did you know...
- ...that the first successful partial face transplant was completed in France in 2005?
- ...that even with the crash of Air France Flight 4590, the only fatal crash involving the Concorde, it along with fears caused by 9/11 and a decision made by Airbus shut down the whole Concorde system?
- ...that during the 2009 flu pandemic, in the United States, Texas became the first state to both have both a non-US citizen death and US citizen death?
- ...that when AOL merged with Time Warner, the deal was valued at about $350 billion, which was the largest merger in U.S. business history?
- ...that the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 (pictured) in Belle Harbor, Queens, raised fears of a second terrorist attack, mainly because it took place two months and one day after the September 11 attacks, and also because of the location of the crash site?
In this month
- 2001 - 2001 Attack on Afghanistan: Taliban forces abandon Kabul, Afghanistan, ahead of advancing Afghan Northern Alliance troops.
- 2001 - In New York City, American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300 on its way to the Dominican Republic, crashes minutes after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport, killing all 260 on board and five on the ground.
- 2003 - With 501 km/h (311 mph) Shanghai Transrapid sets up a new world record for commercial railway systems.
- 2003 - Iraq war: In Nasiriya, Iraq, at least 23 people, among them the first Italian casualties of the 2003 Iraq war are killed in a suicide bomb attack on an Italian police base.
- 2006 - The former Soviet republic of South Ossetia holds a referendum on independence from Georgia.
- 2008 - 42nd Country Music Association Award: Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood & Brad Paisley wins
Things you can do
- In a nutshell: Complete this portal!
- Finish Selected article section.
- Finish Selected picture section.
- Start Selected biography section.
- Update Categories section.
- Start In this month section.
- Finish DYK (Did you know) section.
- Start Selected Quote section.