Paolo Fresu (born February 10, 1961) is an Italian jazz trumpet and flugelhorn player, as well as a composer and arranger of music.
Born in Berchidda, Sardinia, he picked up the trumpet at the age of 11, and played in the band Bernardo de Muro in his home town Berchidda. Fresu graduated from the Conservatory of Cagliari in 1984, in trumpet studies under Enzo Morandini, and attended the University of Musical and performing arts in Bologna.
He has taught at the Siena Jazz National Seminars, as well as jazz university courses in Terni, and is the director of Nuoro Jazz Seminars in Nuoro, Italy.
Fresu composes music for theatre, poem, dance, radio, television, and film.
In 2007, he recorded and toured with Carla Bley's quartet, the Lost Chords.
In 2012, his quintet performed at the Sirifort Auditorium, New Delhi, India, to celebrate 10 years of the Italian Culture Centre there.
Paolo Fresu has played with the following bands:
- Paolo Fresu Quintet and Sextet
- Paolo Fresu-Furio di Castri Duo
- The Open Trio (with Di Castri and James Taylor)
- P.A.F. (with Furio di Castri and Antonello Salis)
- Fresu-Di Castri-Balke-Favre
- Paolo Fresu Euro4th
- Paolo Fresu Angel Quartet (with Nguyn L, Furio di Castri, Roberto Gatto and Antonello Sallis)
- Paolo Fresu Devil Quartet
Paolo Fresu quintet and sextet
- 1985 - Ostinato - (Splasc(h))
- 1986 - Inner Voices feat. Dave Liebman - (Splasc(h))
- 1987 - Mamut - (Splasc(h))
- 1988 - Qvarto - (Splasc(h))
- 1989 - AA.VV. (Fresu 5th) - Top jazz from Italy (Yvp)
- 1990 - Live in Montpellier - (Splasc(h))
- 1991 - Ossi Di Seppia feat. Gianluigi Trovesi - (Splasc(h))
- 1992 - Ballads - (Splasc(h))
- 1992 - Linve in Lugano - (Blue Jazz)
- 1994 - Ensalda Mistica feat. G. Trovesi - (Splasc(h))
- 1994 - AA.VV. (Fresu 5th) - I Disertori (Columbia)
- 1995 - Night on the City - (OWL - EMI)
- 1995 - AA.VV. (Fresu 5th) - Onyx jazz Club 85-95 (Onyx)
- 1996 - AA.VV. (Fresu 6th) - Italian jazz today (MJDC)
- 1996 - P. Fresu 6th Orchestra Utopia - 6 X 30 (Onyx)
- 1996 - AA.VV. (Fresu 5th) - Sempler, The Blue Note 1995 Labels (EMI / Blue Note)
- 1997 - Paolo Fresu 5th & Erwin Vann - Wanderlust (RCA/Victor BMG)
- 2001 - Melos
- 2002 - Kind of Porgy & Bess (RCA Victor/BMG)
- 2012 - 50 anni suonati, (Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso)
With A Filetta and Daniele di Bonaventura
- Mistico Mediterraneo, (ECM, 2011)
With Carla Bley
With Daniele di Bonaventura
With Ralph Towner
With Uri Caine
- Things (Blue Note, 2006)
- Two Minuettos (T?k Music, 2017)