Ntambanana Local Municipality
Get Ntambanana Local Municipality essential facts below. View Videos or join the Ntambanana Local Municipality discussion. Add Ntambanana Local Municipality to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share this resource on social media.
Ntambanana Local Municipality
Ntambanana
Official seal of Ntambanana
Seal
Location in KwaZulu-Natal
Location in KwaZulu-Natal
Coordinates: 28°35?S 31°44?E / 28.583°S 31.733°E / -28.583; 31.733Coordinates: 28°35?S 31°44?E / 28.583°S 31.733°E / -28.583; 31.733
CountrySouth Africa
ProvinceKwaZulu-Natal
DistrictuThungulu
SeatBhucanana
Wards8
Government
 o TypeMunicipal council
 o MayorBhekuyise Justice Biyela
Area
 o Total1,083 km2 (418 sq mi)
Population
(2011)[2]
 o Total74,336
 o Density69/km2 (180/sq mi)
Racial makeup (2011)
 o Black African99.4%
 o Coloured0.2%
 o Indian/Asian0.2%
 o White0.2%
First languages (2011)
 o Zulu95.6%
 o Southern Ndebele1.4%
 o English1.3%
 o Other1.7%
Time zoneUTC+2 (SAST)
Municipal codeKZN283

Ntambanana was an administrative area in the uThungulu District of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa.

The municipality was named after the Ntambanana River, which passes through the municipality.[4]

The Ingonyama Trust owns 85% of the land in the former municipal area, with the remaining 15% being privately owned by commercial farmers.[5]

In 2016 the municipality was divided between uMlalazi Municipality and Mthonjaneni Municipality.

Main places

The 2001 census divided the municipality into the following main places:[6]

Place Code Area (km2) Population
Bhukhanana 53901 22.61 6,348
Biyela 53902 508.06 44,698
Cebekhulu 53903 56.57 7,334
Mambuka 53904 66.50 11,755
Mhlana 53905 7.28 493
Somopho 53907 92.86 12,223
Remainder of the municipality 53906 330.93 1,918

Politics

The municipal council consisted of sixteen members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Eight councillors were elected by first-past-the-post voting in eight wards, while the remaining eight were chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives was proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 no party obtained a majority, and the African National Congress (ANC) and the National Freedom Party (NFP) formed a coalition to govern the municipality. The following table shows the results of the election.[7][8]

Party Votes Seats
Ward List Total % Ward List Total
African National Congress 8,657 9,297 17,954 43.7 4 3 7
Inkatha Freedom Party 7,468 7,423 14,891 36.3 3 3 6
National Freedom Party 3,840 3,802 7,642 18.6 1 2 3
Independent 584 - 584 1.4 0 - 0
Total 20,549 20,522 41,071 100.0 8 8 16
Spoilt votes 366 461 827

References

  1. ^ "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Archived from the original on 14 July 2010. Retrieved 2012.
  2. ^ a b "Statistics by place". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 2015.
  3. ^ "Statistics by place". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 2015.
  4. ^ South African Languages - Place names
  5. ^ "Home". Ntambanana Municipal Website. Retrieved 2013.
  6. ^ Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
  7. ^ "Results Summary - All Ballots: Ntambanana" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2013.
  8. ^ "Seat Calculation Detail: Ntambanana" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2013.

External links


  This article uses material from the Wikipedia page available here. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Ntambanana_Local_Municipality
 



 



 
Music Scenes