Name Change
Get Name Change essential facts below. View Videos or join the Name Change discussion. Add Name Change to your topic list for future reference or share this resource on social media.
Name Change
Name change certificate issued by Christian X of Denmark in 1917

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a new name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption.

The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions. In general, common law jurisdictions have loose procedures for a name change while civil law jurisdictions are more restrictive.

A pseudonym is a name used in addition to the original or true name. This does not require legal sanction. Pseudonyms are generally adopted to conceal a person's identity, but may also be used for personal, social or ideological reasons.

Reasons for changing one's name

  • Marriage or civil partnership.
  • To avoid a stalker or harassment
  • To choose a surname associated with a hobby, interest, or accomplishment (e.g., old name Henry Schifberg, new name Henry Lizardlover)
  • To receive an inheritance conditional on adopting the name of the deceased (this reason was once quite common in landowning families in the UK)
  • To replace a frivolous name given by their parents (e.g., old name Mikey Maus, new name Marcus Maus)
  • To replace a name which might be considered undesirable with a more desirable one (e.g., old surname Lipschitz, new surname London)
  • To dissociate oneself from a former religion (e.g., Ahmed Abdullah to Adel Karim)
  • To dissociate themselves from a famous or infamous person (e.g., old name Michael Jackson new name Martin Jackson)
  • To identify with a famous or infamous person (e.g., old name Simon Johnson, new name Simon Pendragon)
  • To dissociate themselves from a family black sheep (e.g., relatives of Adolf Hitler).
  • To dissociate themselves from an ethnic origin (e.g., changing Battenberg to Mountbatten or Jan Ludvik Hoch to Robert Maxwell).
  • To revert to a former name (e.g., Cynthia Lennon, first wife of John Lennon, after her divorce from later husband John Twist).
  • Commercial sponsorship (e.g., Jimmy White temporarily became Jimmy Brown for HP brown sauce,[1] and Ashley Revell became Ashley blue square Revell for The Rank Group's Blue Square service)
  • Protest or activism (e.g., old name Jennifer Taylor, new name Jennifer Save the Forests)
  • To change to a fictional character's name, (e.g., old name Tracy Darling, new name Tracy Beaker)
  • To make their name more attractive or "catchy" so as to increase their chance of success (see Stage name)
  • To change legal name to one used in everyday life (e.g., where middle name has been used throughout life)
  • To anglicise a name or choose a different name if one's name is too difficult to pronounce or spell for most people
  • To better fit one's gender identity as a transgender person (e.g., old name Bruce Jenner, new name Caitlyn Jenner)

United States

In the United States, state laws regulate name changes. Several federal court rulings have set precedents regarding both court decreed name changes and common law name changes (changing the name at will), including Lindon v. First National Bank.

Usually a person can adopt any name desired for any reason. As of 2009, 46 states allow a person legally to change names by usage alone, with no paperwork, but a court order may be required for many institutions (such as banks or government institutions) to officially accept the change.[2] Although the states (except Louisiana) follow common law, there are differences in acceptable requirements; usually a court order is the most efficient way to change names (which would be applied for in a state court), except at marriage, which has become a universally accepted reason for a name change.

Where a court process is used, it is necessary to plead that the name change is not for a fraudulent or other illegal purpose, such as evading a lien or debt or for defaming someone else. Applicants may be required to give a reasonable explanation for wanting to change their names. A fee is generally payable, and the applicant may be required to post legal notices in newspapers to announce the name change. Generally the judge has limited judicial discretion to deny a change of name: usually only if the name change is for fraudulent, frivolous or immoral purposes.[3] In 2004, a Missouri man succeeded in changing his name to They.[4] The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that a name change to 1069 could be denied, but that Ten Sixty-Nine was acceptable (Application of Dengler, 1979); the North Dakota Supreme Court had denied the same request several years before (Petition of Dengler, 1976).[5]

In nearly all states, a person cannot choose a name that is intended to mislead (such as adopting a celebrity's name), that is intentionally confusing, or that incites violence; nor can one adopt, as a name, a racial slur, a threat, or an obscenity.

Some examples of typically allowed reasons for name changes in the U.S. include:

  • Adopting a new surname upon marriage (typically the surname of the spouse, a hyphenated surname, or some combination of parts of both surnames). This is usually done without court proceedings.
  • Returning to the use of a prior surname (e.g., a maiden name) upon divorce.
  • Simplification or improved familiarity of spelling or pronunciation.

Under the federal immigration-and-nationality law, when aliens apply for naturalization, they have the option of asking for their names to be changed upon the grants of citizenship with no additional fees. This allows them the opportunity to adopt more Americanized names.[6] During the naturalization interview, a petition for a name change is prepared to be forwarded to a federal court. Applicants certify that they are not seeking a change of name for any unlawful purpose such as the avoidance of debt or evasion of law enforcement. Such a name change would become final if within their jurisdiction, once a federal court naturalizes an applicant.

To maintain a person's identity, it is desirable to obtain a formal order so there is continuity of personal records.

Informal methods of legal name change

Assumed name

The "open and notorious" use of a name is often sufficient to allow one to use an assumed name. In some jurisdictions, a trade name distinct from one's legal name can be registered with a county clerk, secretary of state, or other similar government authority. Persons who wish to publish materials and not to be associated with them may publish under pseudonyms; such a right is protected under case law pursuant to United States Constitution.

Usage method

A common law name (i.e. one assumed without formality and for a non-fraudulent purpose) is a legal name.[7] In most states a statutory method, while quick and definitive, only supplements the common law method,[8] unless the statute makes itself exclusive. Although a person may sue under a common law name.[9]

In California the "usage method" (changing the name at will under common law) is sufficient to change the name. Not all jurisdictions require that the new name be used exclusively.[10] Any fraudulent use or intent, such as changing the name to the same name as another person's name, may invalidate this type of name change.

Specifically in California, Code of Civil Procedure § 1279.5 and Family Code § 2082 regulate common law and court decreed name changes. Code of Civil Procedure § 1279.5 (a) reads, "Except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e), nothing in this title shall be construed to abrogate the common law right of any person to change his or her name." Subdivisions b through e preclude one from changing their name by common law if they are in state prison, on probation, on parole, or have been convicted of a serious sex offense. If a person is not in any of these categories, then a common law name change is allowed. (Family Code § 2082 also contains some of the same wording.)

Preferred name

Many universities, hospitals, and other institutions allow one to use a "preferred name" instead of one's legal name. This name can show up on class rosters, online learning platforms, and student ID cards. It provides a "transitional" name change for those who have yet to, or cannot, receive a court-ordered name change.[11][12]

Official registration

A legal name change is merely the first step in the name-change process. A person must officially register the new name with the appropriate authorities whether the change was made as a result of a court order, marriage, divorce, adoption, or any of the other methods described above. The process includes notifying various government agencies, each of which may require legal proof of the name change and that may or may not charge a fee. Important government agencies to be notified include the Social Security Administration,[13]Bureau of Consular Affairs[14] (for passports),[15] the Federal Communications Commission,[16] the Selective Service System[17] and the Department of Motor Vehicles (for a new driver's license, learner permit, state identification card, or vehicular registration). Additionally the new name must be registered with other institutions such as employers, banks, doctors, mortgage, insurance and credit card companies. Online services are available to assist in this process either through direct legal assistance or automated form processing.

Most states require name changes to be registered with their departments of motor vehicles (DMVs) within a certain amount of time, and some state motor vehicle departments require updated social security cards to make changes, by first registering a new name with the Social Security office:

Several United States Time limits in days Notes
Arizona 10 Must appear in person with updated social security cards[18]
Connecticut Undefined Must appear in person with updated social security cards[19]
Delaware 30 Must appear in person with updated social security cards[20]
Illinois 30 [21]
Maryland Undefined Must appear in person[22]
New Jersey Undefined Must appear in person[23]
New York Undefined Must appear in person[24]
North Carolina 60 [25]
Pennsylvania Undefined Must appear in person for a driver's license or photo ID[26]
South Carolina 10 [27]
Texas 30 [28]
Vermont 30 [29]
Wyoming 10 [30]

The fees for registering a new name vary from state to state. The forms, along with the state-specific requirements, can generally be obtained for free.

Many states will require reasons for wanting a name change. For example, in Florida, a court will not grant a petition for a change of name if it finds that (i) the petitioner has ulterior or illegal motives in seeking the name change, (ii) the petitioner's civil rights are suspended, or (iii) granting the name change will invade the property rights (e.g., intellectual property rights) of others.[31]

United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, citizens and residents have the freedom to change their names with relative ease.

In theory, anyone who is at least 16 and resident in the United Kingdom can call themselves whatever they wish. However, over the past hundred years or so, formal procedures that are recognized by record holders such as government departments, companies and organizations have evolved, which enable a citizen legally to change the name recorded on their passport, driving licence, tax and National Insurance records, bank and credit cards, etc., provided that "documentary evidence" of a change of name is provided. Documents such as birth, marriage and educational certificates cannot be changed because these documents are "matters of fact", which means that they were correct at the time they were issued.

Documentary evidence of a change of name can be in a number of forms, such as a marriage certificate, decree absolute, civil partnership certificate, statutory declaration or deed of change of name. Such documents are mere evidence that a change of name has occurred, however, and they do not themselves operate to change a person's name. Deeds of change of name are by far the most commonly used method of providing evidence of a change of name other than changing a woman's surname after marriage. A deed poll is a legal document that binds a single person to a particular course of action (in this case, changing one's name for all purposes). The term 'deed' is common to signed, written agreements that have been shown to all concerned parties. Strictly speaking, it is not a contract because it binds only one party and expresses an intention instead of a promise. 'Poll' is an old legal term referring to official documents that had cut edges (were polled) so that they were straight.[32][33]

England and Wales

People whose births are registered in England and Wales may have their deed poll enrolled at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.[34][32] See also College of Arms#Change of names.

Historical usage

From the mediæval age to the 19th century, the era of family dynasties, name changes were frequently demanded of heirs in the last wills and testaments, legacies and bequests, of members of the gentry and nobility who were the last males of their bloodline. Such persons frequently selected a younger nephew or cousin as the heir to their estates on condition that he should adopt the surname and armorials of the legator in lieu of his patronymic. Thus the ancient family otherwise destined to extinction would appear to continue as a great dynasty in the making. Such changes were also more rarely demanded by marriage settlements, for example where the father of a sole daughter and heiress demanded that as a condition of his daughter's dowry her husband should adopt his father-in-law's surname and arms. Thus the progeny of the marriage would continue the otherwise extinct family's name. Such name changes were generally only demanded of younger sons, where an elder brother was available to inherit the paternal estates under primogeniture and carry on the name and arms abandoned by the younger brother. Such name changes were effected by obtaining a private Act of Parliament or by obtaining a Royal Licence.[35] A less radical procedure adopted from the 18th century onwards was for the legator or settlor to demand only that the legatee or beneficiary should adopt his surname in addition to his patronymic, not in place of it, which gave rise to the "double-barrelled", even the "triple-barrelled" name, frequently parodied in literature as epitomising the wealthy "squirearchy" with an embarrassment of inherited estates.

Well known examples are:


People whose births are registered in Scotland (or who were adopted in Scotland) can change their name in the same way as people from the rest of the United Kingdom. However they can optionally apply to the Registrar General for Scotland to have their birth certificate amended to show the new name and have the respective register updated.

Other common law countries


Individuals may legally change their name through the state and territory governments of Australia according to state or territory laws and regulations via agencies generally titled "Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages".[37] Exceptions exist for some states such as restricted persons (e.g. jail inmate)[38] and in some states, changes may only be made once a year.[39]

Institutions such as banks,[40] the Passports Office[41] and transport authorities[42] require proof of identity, so people who change their names need to have proof of the change.

If a person's birth or adoption was registered in Australia, the change will also be noted (in most cases) on the person's birth or adoption registration, and in some states or territories, the name change can be evidenced either through a re-issued birth certificate if born in Australia and/or "Change of Name Certificate". These certificates are recognised secure identity documents and can be verified electronically through the Attorney-general of Australia's Document Verification Service.[43]


All Canadian provinces and territories except Quebec allow their residents, whether Citizens, Permanent Residents or Temporary Residents, to obtain a name change, provided they fulfil the pertinent regulations (e.g. time lived in province) [44]. Quebec, being a civil law jurisdiction, has substantial differences from the rest of Canada in how it permits its residents to obtain a change of name; further information is available in the Quebec section of the article.

Hong Kong

It is a common practice for ethnic Chinese residents of Hong Kong to adopt a western-style English name in addition to their transliterated Chinese name. As they often adopt western-style English names after being registered on the birth register, the fact that they want to include a western-style English name as part of their legal English name is regarded as a name change which usually requires a deed poll.

However, the Immigration Department which is responsible for processing applications for name change allows applicants to submit such applications without deeds poll; anyone who has a phonetic English name only and wishes to include a western-style English name as part of his or her legal English name can apply to the Immigration Department without a deed poll. Only one application of this kind is allowed for each applicant; any application for subsequent change(s) must be made with a deed poll.


In the Republic of Ireland, a person earns their name by "use and repute".[45] For most purposes it is enough to simply use the desired name and ask others to call you by that name.[45] This was the traditional practice for a bride adopting her husband's surname.[45] A change of name deed poll is not required, but provides documentary evidence of a name change.[45] Resident non-EU nationals must apply to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service for a deed poll.[45] The deed poll requires a witness affidavit, and may optionally be enrolled in the High Court upon payment of stamp duty.[45] An enrolled deed poll is required for some administrative name changes, such as on a driving licence[45] or when changing legal gender.[46]

New Zealand

From September 1995, New Zealanders can change their name by making a statutory declaration and, if approved, the new name is registered with the Births, Deaths and Marriages section of the Department of Internal Affairs (Identity Services). Prior to September 1995, they changed their name by deed poll.[47]

Civil law

In general, unlike in common law countries, names cannot be changed at will in civil law jurisdictions. Usually, a name change requires government approval and is only rarely granted, though legal name changes have become more common in some jurisdictions over the last years. The reason given for this system is usually the public interest in the unique identifiability of a person, e.g., in governmental registers, although with the advent of personal identification numbers, that rationale may be in need of reconsideration.[]


Changes in law Aug 2018 changes first name and fee will fall under the authority of local town hall [48] In Belgian law, a name is in principle considered fixed for life, but under exceptional circumstances, a person may apply to the Ministry of Justice for a name change. This requires a Royal Decree (French: Arrêté royal, Dutch: Koninklijk besluit) for last names, but only a Ministerial Decree for first names. The new name must not cause confusion or cause damage to the bearer or others. Examples of requests that are usually considered favorably:

  • A person of non-European origin who wants to adopt a less exotic name to further his/her integration in Belgian society
  • A person stuck with a ridiculous last name that is causing him/her great embarrassment or emotional distress. Actual examples: Salami, Naaktgeboren ("born naked"), and Clooten ("sods of earth" in Middle Dutch, but "testicles" in modern Dutch)
  • (for minor children) following legal adoption or recognition of paternity[49]


According to the Brazilian Civil Code and the Public Registries Act, the name registered after birth is definitive and immutable. However, there are some circumstances under which a name change is allowed:

  • If an obvious writing error is made while registering the name of the child.
  • In the first year after a person reaches the age of majority (18 years), they can request a change in their first names, but modification of surnames is not allowed.
  • If a person's name exposes them to ridicule and harms their everyday well-being.
  • If a person is recognized publicly by another name, they can request a name change or addition, by providing as support three testimonials of the change in name.
  • If a person has undergone a sex change, recent jurisprudence has allowed name modifications in most such cases.


In India, the person concerned submits a name change request to an appropriate authority, with supporting documents. Subsequently, an application must be made to the Government Printing Press, which issues an Official Gazette Notification certifying the change of name.[50]


Although it has always been relatively easy to change one's legal names in Norway, it used to require some kind of government approval. As late as 1830, local vicars were instructed to write both given (Christian) names, as well as last names, in the baptismal record. Earlier, only the given name of the child, birth date, baptismal date, and sex were written down, alongside the parents' names. It was not until the beginning of the 20th century, however, that the authorities required everyone to adopt a family surname. Until about 1980, the government still required that a name change applicant apply to the government regional representative (fylkesmann). The law has been replaced twice since then. Nowadays, the process is as easy as in common-law countries; the subject merely submits the names wanted (providing that the surname chosen is not in use or is not used by fewer than 200 persons) to the local authorities for the purposes of election rosters and census counts; there is no longer an application process.


2001 RA 9048 amends Articles 376 and 412 of the Civil Code of the Philippines, which prohibit the change of name or surname of a person, or any correction or change of entry in a civil register without a judicial order. Administrative Order No. 1 Series of 2001, implemented the law.[51] It authorizes the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general to correct a clerical or typographical error in an entry or change the first name or nickname in the civil register without need of a judicial order.[52][53]

Name and gender change

In case of controversial and substantial changes, Philippines jurisprudence requires full-blown court lawsuit, that must include the local civil registrar in the petition, since RA 9048 and Rule 108 (Cancellation or correction of entries in the Civil Registry) of the Rules of Court do not allow the change of sex in a birth certificate.[54]

The only landmark case in the Philippines on name and legal sex change is the Jeff Cagandahan case. The Supreme Court of the Philippines Justice Leonardo Quisumbing on September 12, 2008, allowed Cagandahan, 27, who has congenital adrenal hyperplasia, to change his birth certificate name from Jennifer to Jeff, and his legal gender from female to male.[55][56][57]


In Quebec, only Citizens may obtain a change of name from the Directeur de l'Etat Civil. Permanent Residents residing in Quebec, if falling under an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada exception, may make a statutory declaration to IRCC and obtain a change of name through them[58]. Otherwise, as with all Temporary Residents residing in Quebec, they must obtain a change of name from the country that issued their passport/travel document.

Quebec also has other strict regulations regarding name changes. For example, Micheline Montreuil, a trans woman who is non-operative, had to undergo a lengthy process to have her name legally changed. Initially, the Directeur de l'Etat Civil refused to permit the change on the grounds that someone legally assigned male at birth could not bear a female name. According to Quebec law, Montreuil could not change her record of sex because this requires proof of a completed sex reassignment surgery, which she has not had. On November 1, 1999, the provincial court of appeals ruled that nothing in the law prevented a person who was legally male from legally adopting a woman's name.[59] Another issue specific to Quebec is married names. Because of the Quebec Charter of Rights, married women in Quebec have been unable to adopt their spouse's surname since 1976[60]. Other provinces allow their residents to change their last name on the strength of their marriage certificate.[61]

The Directeur de l'Etat Civil will amend a Quebec birth certificate if a name change certificate is issued by another province. Some have used that loophole to legally change their names by temporarily moving another Canadian province or territory, which follow more permissive common-law rules.

South Africa

South Africa, which uses a mixture of common law and civil Roman Dutch law, mostly uses common-law procedures with regard to name change. Name changes in South Africa are regulated by the Births and Deaths Registration Act (Act 51 of 1992, as amended). The personal information of all citizens and permanent residents is recorded on the Population Register, so any name changes must be registered.

A person can change their forenames by submitting a form to the Department of Home Affairs. An individual's surname, or that of a family, may be changed by applying to the Department and providing a "good and sufficient reason" for the change.

A married woman can change her surname to that of her husband or join her maiden name with her husband's surname, and a divorced woman may return to her previous surname, without applying or paying a fee; but she must notify the department so that the details in the Population Register can be changed. (It is possible that, if challenged, these provisions might be held to be unconstitutional because they apply only to women.)

South Africa has officially recognized same sex marriages since 2006 and in doing so now allows one or both partners to change their surnames in the marriage register on the day of the marriage. A new passport and ID book can then be applied for with the new married surname as well.

The surnames of minor children can also be changed under various circumstances involving the marriage, divorce or death of a parent, children born out of wedlock, and guardianship.[62]


In Switzerland, a name change requires the approval of the respective Cantonal government, if there are important reasons (wichtige Gründe / justes motifs) for the change, according to article 30 of the Swiss Civil Code. When aliens apply for naturalization, they have the option of asking for their names to be changed upon the grants of citizenship with no additional fees.[] According to the case law of the Swiss Federal Supreme Court, such requests must be granted only if the petitioner shows that they suffer substantially from their present name, e.g., if it is the same as that of a notorious criminal.


In Taiwan, the Name Act bans changing one's legal name for some criminal reasons per Article 15 since 2015 (Article 12 since 2001). Otherwise, one may change the surname, given name, or both per Article 8, 9, or 10 since 2015 (Article 5, 6, or 7 since 1953, or Article 6, 7, or 8 since 2001).

Changing the given name is allowed if:[63]

  1. Having the same name when serving or studying in the same institution or school.
  2. Since 1983, having the same given name as one's parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent.[64]
  3. Having the same name as someone else who lives in the same county or city and having lived there for at least 6 months.
  4. Having the same name as a wanted criminal, for example (Chén Jìnx?ng), a common name used by not only a convicted kidnapper and murderer who was executed in Taiwan for major crimes in 1997 (zh: (?)) but also a Taiwanese statesman (zh: ()).
  5. Since 2015, acknowledgement by father or adoption starts or ends.
  6. Having special reasons,[65] which is limited to thrice since 2015 (twice since 2001) in one's lifetime, while the second given name change of this type requires the age of majority.[66]

Replacing documents

Diplomas, work experience documents, licenses, permits, and other such documents shall use a person's legal name to avoid being deemed invalid[67], so those intending to change names have to note that:

Licensed Taiwanese driver who legally changes the name without reporting to the competent traffic authority is fined 300 to 600 new Taiwan dollars and asked to re-register the legal name.[68]

Taiwan passports are to be replaced after having changed the names.[69]

Registration of change in name of the right holder having been changed after a land right has been registered, shall be applied; the same shall apply to the change of the name of administrator.[70]

Overseas application

A national without household registration may apply for name change outside Taiwan at a Taiwanese diplomatic mission, but having had household registration in Taiwan may apply there only to forward a name change application to the Household Registration Office covering the last Taiwanese address of residency[71], which is a better method only if no risk of discrepancies among Taiwanese documents, so anyone having considerable Taiwanese documents should still change the name in person at Taiwanese Household Registration Office, to also replace the National Identification Card, healthcard card, driver license, etc.[72]

Name change on religious conversion

Adherents of various religions change their name upon conversion or confirmation. The name adopted may not have any legal status but will represent their adopted religious beliefs.[73]


  • Individuals who attend a ceremony to officially become Buddhists are usually given a new "Dharma name", which marks their "taking refuge".



There is no formal concept of conversion in Hinduism but converts to Hinduism are accepted, usually after a small ceremony called Shudhikaran (purification). Individuals who attend a Shudhikaran ceremony to officially become Hindu may be optionally given a new Dharma (religious) name, which is usually based on Sanskrit or Indian name such as names based on Hindu deities.


  • Converts to Islamic faith may choose a new name; although it is not required, it may in some cases be preferable for personal reasons or because the name is of uncertain Islamicity (e.g. the person converting has a theophoric name in another religion, such as Christopher or Ganesh). Boxer Cassius Clay's adoption of the name Muhammad Ali is a well-known example, as is Cat Stevens' change to Yusuf Islam and Malcolm Little's adoption of the name Malcolm X and later El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz. On the other hand, converts may choose to keep their names, as did Dave Chappelle.
  • Women do not normally take their husbands' surnames as their own. Their maiden name continues to be their surname even after marriage. Sometimes their husbands first name becomes their surname, similar to the case of surname chains indicating someone's chain of fathers.
  • In Islamic tradition, there are two kinds of surname.
  1. The first kind comes from the father's first name, which means that the particular person is the child of. For example, a name such as ibn Abdullah means "son of Abdullah", or bint Abdullah means "daughter of Abdullah". Father descendant names can be chained, meaning that an individual can have the name of their father, followed by their paternal grandfather, followed by the father of that grandfather, to indicate a patrilineal lineage.
  2. The second kind is associated with clan, tribal or ethnic affiliation and is also solely dependant on the person's patrilineal line. In Islamic family law, the individual is required to keep the clan, tribal or ethnic affiliation of their father where it is known, whether the child be illegitimate, staying with their mother after divorce or adopted.

The last name cannot be changed in such a way as to reflect a heritage that is not that of one's biological father.


  • Jewish people in the Diaspora sometimes give their children two names: a secular name for everyday use and a Hebrew name for religious purposes. Converts to Judaism choose a Hebrew name.[75] Full Jewish names include a patronym: converts take the patronym "ben/bat Avraham Avinu" (son/daughter of Our Father Abraham) as converts are held to be spiritual descendants of Abraham, the forebear of Jews.


  • Those in the Sikh faith adopt a new last name upon baptism into the Khalsa. Men adopt the last name Singh, while women adopt the last name Kaur.
  • The Sikhs adopted the name Singh in 1699 during the Birth of the Khalsa.


See also


  1. ^ "Jimmy Gets Saucy with Name Change", no by-line, BBC News (online edition), "Sport: Fun and Games" section, 8 February 2005; accessed 14 March 2007
  2. ^ Kushner, Julia Shear (2009). "The Right to Control One's Name" (PDF). UCLA Law Review (313): 324-9. The states which require a statutory name-change procedure are Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, and Oklahoma.
  3. ^ Edward J. Bander, Change of Name and Law of Names (Dobbs Ferry, New York: Oceana Publications, 1973) Ch. 2–3.
  4. ^ "Missouri man legally changes his name to 'They'". USA Today.
  5. ^ "Petition of Dengler, 246 N.W.2d 758 (N.D. 1976)".
  6. ^ "N-400 Application for Naturalization", (US Citizenship and Immigration Services, 2011).
  7. ^ See, e.g., State v. Ford, 172 P. 802; Bonnie Lee Daniels, 337 A.2d 49; Elizabeth Marie Hauptly 312 N.E.2d 857; Piotrowski v. Piotrowski, 247 N.W.2d 354; Thomas v. Thomas, 427 N.E.2d 1009; Klein v. Klein, 373 A.2d 86; Stuart v. Board of Elections, 295 A.2d 223.
  8. ^ In Matter of Linda A., 480 N.Y.S.2d 996.
  9. ^ Hoffman v. Bank of America, (M.D. Florida 2006).
  10. ^ For example, Kreuter v US, 201 F2d 33 (true name need not be abandoned), Florida Statute 322.22 (driver's licenses in two names), Loser v. Plainfield, 128 N.W. 1101 (Iowa), Ludwinska v John Hancock, 317 Pa 577 (may be used for just one nonfraudulent transaction).
  11. ^ "Preferred Name | Office of the University Registrar".
  12. ^ "What is a preferred first name or preferred last name? -- University of Leicester".
  13. ^ "How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?".
  14. ^ "U.S. Passports & International Travel".
  15. ^ "8 FAM 403.1-4 Material Discrepancies (Major name changes)". Foreign Affairs Manual. United States Department of State. August 7, 2018. Retrieved .
  16. ^ FCC Internet Services Staff. "FCC Form 605". Archived from the original on 2014-04-22.
  17. ^ "Selective Service System: Registrant Obligations". Archived from the original on 2015-03-29.
  18. ^ "Motor Vehicle Services".
  19. ^ "DMV Easy Answers for Change of Name". Department of Motor Vehicles.
  20. ^ "Requirements for Change of Name and Address". Division of Motor Vehicles. Retrieved .
  21. ^ [1] Archived April 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
  22. ^ "Maryland Driver's License: Correcting/Changing Your Maryland License or Permit". Motor Vehicle Administration.
  23. ^ "Name Change". New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
  24. ^ "New York State DMV". New York State DMV. Archived from the original on 2012-06-26.
  25. ^ "NCDOT: License and ID". North Carolina Department of Transportation.
  26. ^ "Change Your Name or Address". DMV.
  27. ^ Archived 2012-12-28 at the Wayback Machine
  28. ^ [2] Archived October 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
  29. ^ "Change Address or Name on Your License - Department of Motor Vehicles".
  30. ^ [3] Archived September 19, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
  31. ^ see, e.g., Archived 2010-11-28 at the Wayback Machine
  32. ^ a b Enrolling a Name Change in the Royal Courts of Justice. Archived 2008-10-02 at the Wayback Machine (March 2008). Her Majesty's Courts Service. Retrieved September 12, 2008.
  33. ^ Judgement and Orders Section. Archived 2011-06-06 at the Wayback Machine(March 26, 2008). Her Majesty's Courts Service. § Deed Polls. Retrieved September 12, 2008.
  34. ^
  35. ^ "Researching a past change of name - DoPoO". Deed Poll Office.
  36. ^ "Hugh Earl of Northumberland's name and arms. - DoPoO". Deed Poll Office.
  37. ^ Agency, Digital Transformation. "Births, deaths and marriages registries -".
  38. ^
  39. ^ Branch, ; c=AU; o=The State of Queensland; ou=Communication Services. "Changing your name - Your rights, crime and the law".
  40. ^
  41. ^ Office, Australian Passports. "Documents that confirm your Australian citizenship and identity".
  42. ^ nw. "Change my name".
  43. ^ Department, Attorney-General's. "Document Verification Service". Archived from the original on 2017-03-21. Retrieved .
  44. ^ "Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Change of Name for Trans Persons". Canadian Civil Liberties Association. 2015-05-19. Retrieved .
  45. ^ a b c d e f g "Changing your name by deed poll".
  46. ^ "Changing to your preferred gender".
  47. ^ Evidence of Identity Standard NZ Department of Internal Affairs, June 2006, Version 1.0, ISBN 0-478-24462-2, page 123
  48. ^
  49. ^ [4] Archived May 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
  50. ^
  51. ^ [5] Archived June 21, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
  52. ^ "Civil Registration - Primer for RA 9048". Archived from the original on February 12, 2012.
  55. ^ "Call him Jeff, says SC; he used to be called Jennifer". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Archived from the original on August 8, 2014.
  56. ^ "Woman's body 'naturally' became male". Archived from the original on February 16, 2009.
  57. ^ "Rare Condition Turns Woman Into Man". Fox News.
  58. ^ Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (2017-11-16). "Exceptions to change of name requirements". aem. Retrieved .
  59. ^ "Micheline Anne Hélène Montreuil and his fights". Archived from the original on February 12, 2012.
  60. ^ "Here Are Places Women Can't Take Their Husband's Name When They Get Married". Time. Retrieved .
  61. ^ Government of Alberta. "Government of Alberta - Programs and Services - Getting Married".
  62. ^ Personal Amendments. Archived 2008-09-11 at the Wayback Machine (c. 1997). South African Department of Home Affairs. Retrieved May 19, 2010
  63. ^ Article 6 of the Name Act (1953) (s:zh:? (42?)), amended into Article 7 of the Name Act (2001) (s:zh:? (90?)), then amended into Article 9 of the Name Act (2015) s:zh:? (104?).
  64. ^ Clause 2 of Article 6 of the Name Act (1983) (? (72?)), amended into Clause 2 of Section 1 of Article 7 of the Name Act (2001), then amended into Clause 2 of Section 1 of Article 7 of the Name Act (2015).
  65. ^ Clause 6 of Section 1 of Article 7 of the Name Act (2001), amended into Clause 6 of Section 1 of Article 9 of the Name Act (2015).
  66. ^ Section 2 of Article 7 of the Name Act (2001), amended into Section 2 of Article 9 of the Name Act (2015).
  67. ^ Article 3 of the Name Act (1953), amended into Article 4 of the Name Act (2001), then amended into Article 6 of the Name Act (2015).
  68. ^ Article 25 of the Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act amended in 1986 and effective on 1 January 1987, having increased the administrative fine from 30 to 150 new Taiwan dollars effective on 1 May 1968 per Clause 1 of Article 31 of the same Act, and 150 to 300 new Taiwan dollars per Article 25 of the amendment in 1975 effective on 1 January 1976.
  69. ^ Clause 3 of Section 1 of Article 19 of the Passport Act fully amended in 2015 effective on 1 January 2016, from Clause 3 of Section 1 of Article 15 of the Passport Act effective on 21 May 2000.
  70. ^ Section 1 of Article 149 of the Regulations of The Land Registration
  71. ^ The last Section of Article 4 of the Enforcement Rules of the Name Act since 2001.
  72. ^ "?:" (in Traditional Chinese). Bureau of Consular Affairs (Republic of China). 2019-10-28. Retrieved .CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
  73. ^ Celia Emmelhainz, Naming a New Self: Identity Elasticity and Self-Definition in Voluntary Name Changes. (c. 2012). Names, Vol. 60, Iss. 3. Retrieved April 4, 2016
  74. ^ [6] Archived April 28, 2005, at the Wayback Machine
  75. ^ Ariela Pelaia. "Choosing a Hebrew Name - Naming a Jewish Baby". Religion & Spirituality.

  This article uses material from the Wikipedia page available here. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.



Music Scenes