MarketWatch is a website that provides financial information, business news, analysis, and stock market data. Along with The Wall Street Journal and Barron's, it is a subsidiary of Dow Jones & Company, a property of News Corp.
The company was conceived as DBC Online by Data Broadcasting Corp. in the fall of 1995.
The marketwatch.com domain name was registered on July 30, 1997.
The website launched on October 30, 1997 as a 50/50 joint venture between DBC and CBS News run by Larry Kramer and with Thom Calandra as editor-in-chief.
In 1999, the company hired David Callaway and in 2003, Callaway became editor-in-chief.
In January 1999, during the dot-com bubble, the company became a public company via an initial public offering. After pricing at $17 per share, the stock traded as high as $130 per share on its first day of trading, giving it a market capitalization of over $1 billion despite only $7 million in annual revenues.
In June 2000, the company formed a joint venture with the Financial Times with Peter Bale as managing editor.
In January 2004, Calandra resigned amidst allegations of insider trading.
In January 2005, Dow Jones & Company acquired the company for $528 million, or $18 per share.
In May 2016, MarketWatch hired Dan Shar as General Manager
- ^ Adinolfi, Joseph (May 14, 2014). "Jeremy Olshan takes reins as editor of MarketWatch". MarketWatch.
- ^ a b c Kramer, Larry (October 30, 2017). "The history of MarketWatch: How a sports data startup became a half-billion-dollar financial news site". Marketwatch.
- ^ "Whois Record for MarketWatch.com". Domain Tools.
- ^ a b "MarketWatch commentator resigns amid probe". NBC News. Associated Press. January 23, 2004.
- ^ O'Shea, Chris (July 10, 2012). "David Callaway, MarketWatch Editor, Named USA Today EIC". Adweek.
- ^ "Joint Venture Agreement - Financial Times Group Ltd., MarketWatch.com Inc., Pearson Internet Holdings BV and Pearson Overseas Holdings Ltd". June 19, 2000.
- ^ "FT Marketwatch Appoints Managing Editor". Pearson plc. March 20, 2000.
- ^ "DOW JONES & COMPANY CLOSES $528 MILLION MARKETWATCH ACQUISITION" (Press release). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. January 24, 2005.
- ^ "MarketWatch.com hires general manager". Talking Biz News. May 17, 2016. Retrieved 2020.