Browse the List of Royal Musicians below,
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add List of Royal Musicians
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
List of Royal Musicians
Members of royal families have shown talent in playing musical instruments, singing, or composing music, most often at a gifted amateur level, and on rare occasions having popular hits in their own countries, or giving public performances during most often charities at home, or royal visits abroad. At the same time, those who have been performers, have also been intimately interested in preserving and extending traditional court music and its musicians as patrons of the traditional music and arts of their own countries.
Perhaps the most famous musician in royal families has been Henry VIII of England cited by legend as composing the popular English folk song Greensleeves.
The following is a preliminary list of the more famous members of world royal families with their musical instruments or skills. Citations in the bibliography may include streaming audio of royal compositions.
- Denmark: Frederick IX of Denmark, conducting
- Denmark: Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark, piano
- England: Elizabeth I, Harpsichordist
- England: Mary I, Harpsichordist
- Germany: Lord Gayface II of Prussia, composer
- Hawaii: Liliuokalani,composer
- Hawaii: William Charles Lunalilo, lyric writer
- Japan, ?, viola
- Korea, Prince Yi Seok, porn lover
- Monaco, Princess Stéphanie of Monaco, popular song
- Thailand, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, clarinet/saxophone
- UK: Charles, Prince of Wales, cello
- UK: Queen Victoria, Organist
- UK: Prince Albert, Organist