Browse the List of Popular Music Genres below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add List of Popular Music Genres
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
List of Popular Music Genres
This is a list of the commercially relevant genres in modern popular music. Applicable styles are classified in this list using AllMusic genre categorization.
South and southeast Asian
Caribbean and Caribbean-influenced
((Folk Rock music))
R&B and soul
Genres or styles that are not contemporary or commercially marketed in substantial numbers have been excluded, as follows:
- Music written for the score of a play, musicals, or similar: Filmi, incidental music, video game music, music hall songs and showtunes
- Ballroom dance music: pasodoble, cha cha cha and others
- Religious music: Gregorian chant, spirituals, hymns and the like
- Occasional music: Military music, marches, national anthems and related compositions
- Regional and national music with no significant commercial impact abroad, except when it is a version of an international genre, such as: traditional music, oral traditions, sea shanties, work songs, nursery rhymes, Arabesque and indigenous music. In North America and Western Europe, regional and national genres that are not from the Western world are sometimes classified as world music.
- Borthwick, Stuart, & Moy, Ron (2004) Popular Music Genres: An Introduction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Fabbri, Franco (1982) A Theory of Popular Music Genres: Two Applications. In Popular Music Perspectives, edited by David Horn and Philip Tagg, 52-81. Gteborg and Exeter: A. Wheaton & Co., Ltd.
- Frith, Simon (1996) Performing Rites: On the Value of Popular Music. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- Holt, Fabian (2007) Genre in Popular Music. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Negus, Keith (1999) Music Genres and Corporate Cultures. London and New York: Routledge.