Browse the List of Horn Players below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add List of Horn Players
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
List of Horn Players
This list of horn players includes notable players of tenor (alto) horn, French horn, German horn, natural horn, and Vienna horn.
- Radek Baborák, former Principal horn Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Munich Phil. Orch, Czech Phil. Orch. winner of the ARD, Geneva, Markneukirchen
- Andrew Bain, principal horn of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, LA studio player, horn instructor at the Colburn School in Los Angeles, California
- Hermann Baumann, former principal horn Philharmonisches Orchester Dortmund and Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, winner of the ARD International Music Competition in 1964, soloist, performing on natural horn and valved horn
- Richard Bissill, player, composer and arranger at Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London
- Aubrey Brain, player (1893-1955)
- Dennis Brain, player (1921-1957)
- Arthur C. Brooks
- Timothy Brown, principal horn in BBC Symphony Orchestra and Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Melos Ensemble
- George Brunies, jazz artist
- Dick Cary, jazz artist
- John Cerminaro, principal New York Philharmonic (1969-79), principal Seattle Symphony 1996-2011
- Alan Civil, second horn Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (to Dennis Brain), later principal. In 1955, joined the Philharmonia, and in 1957 became principal horn, after the death of Dennis Brain, principal of BBC Symphony Orchestra from 1966 to 1988
- Dale Clevenger, principal Chicago Symphony Orchestra 1966-2013
- Geoff Collinson, principal horn, Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra
- David Cripps, Star Wars original trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983) and Superman (1978 film) principal horn, principal horn London Symphony Orchestra for 10 years.
- Dick Cuthell
- Peter Damm, principal horn Dresden Staatskapelle 1969-2002. He is professor of horn at the Carl Maria von Weber music conservatoire.
- Vincent DeRosa, LA studio player
- Richard Dunbar, was a player of the French horn, playing in the free jazz scene. He was born in Brooklyn, New York, on May 29, 1944, and he died suddenly at the age of 61, apparently of a heart attack, on the way to a gig on February 8, 2006.
- Simon de Souza, professor of horn at the Birmingham Conservatoire
- Vladimir Djambazov, second horn Sofia Philharmonic and composer
- Stefan Dohr, principal horn, Berlin Philharmonic
- John MacDonald
- Joseph Masella, principal horn of both the Montreal Symphony Orchestra and the CBC Montreal Orchestra from 1943 to 1969.
- Christian Mengis, hornist and composer at the court of Frederick the Great from 1745.
- Philip Myers, principal, New York Philharmonic Orchestra 1980-present)
- Mario Rivera, principal, New York City played with Machito, Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria, Sonny Stitt, and George Coleman. In 1988, he joined Dizzy Gillespie's United Nation's Orchestra and then later became a member of the Lincoln Center Afro-Latin Jazz Big Band. 1939-2007)
- Ricardo Matosinhos
- Neill Sanders, Melos Ensemble, London Orchestras
- Will Sanders, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Lorenzo Sansone, member of major North American symphony orchestras, music editor, educator, and horn manufacturer.
- Gunther Schuller, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, and composer
- Franti?ek ?olc, Czech hornist and horn teacher
- James Sommerville, Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Stephen Stirling, principal horn City of London Sinfonia, co-principal horn Academy of St Martin in the Fields, teaches at Trinity College of Music, soloist, chamber musician
- Franz Strauss
- Esa Tapani, former principal horn Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
- James Thatcher, LA studio player
- Michael Thompson, former principal with Philharmonia Orchestra, teacher at Royal Academy of Music, soloist/chamber musician/clinician
- Barry Tuckwell, former principal horn London Symphony Orchestra, soloist and clinician
- Bed?ich Tyl?ar, former horn player with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, soloist and pedagogue
- Zden?k Tyl?ar, former principal horn with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, soloist and pedagogue
- David Wakefield, horn player with the American Brass Quintet from 1976 to March 2014, teaching at The Juilliard School since 1987, Aspen Music Festival and School, since 1976, Hartt School at the University of Hartford, since 2011.
- Richard Watkins, principal horn of Philharmonia Orchestra from 1985 to 1996, teaching at Royal Academy of Music, soloist, chamber musician, clinician
- Froydis Ree Wekre, member of Oslo Philharmonic from 1961 to 1991, co-principal from 1965 on, Professor of Horn at Norwegian Academy of Music, soloist, clinician
- Kate Westbrook, tenor horn player
- Sarah Willis, fourth horn of the Berlin Philharmonic.
Use of the horn in jazz
The horn is used only rarely in jazz, but there have been a few notable players: