List of Alaska Native Tribal Entities
Browse the List of Alaska Native Tribal Entities below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add List of Alaska Native Tribal Entities
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
List of Alaska Native Tribal Entities
a-- Yukon Subarctic
: Alaskan Athabaskans
b-- Northwest Coast
, and Tsimshian
b-- Sugpiaq (Alutiiq)
: West Sugpiaq (Kaniagmiut
) ve East Sugpiaq
c-- Central Alaskan Yup'ik
(Ogulmiut, Togiagamiut, Nushagagmiut, Kuskokwagmiut, Kaialigamiut, Magemiut, Ikogmiut, Unaligmiut
d-- Nunivak Cup'ig
(Kaviagmiut, Kinugumiut, Malemiut, Noatagmiut, Nunatagmiut, Oturkagmiut, Killirmiut, Kopagmiut, Kugmiut, Utkiavigmiut, Point Barrow Eskimo
) and Uummarmiut
f-- Siberian Yupik
(St. Lawrence Island Eskimo)
This is a list of Alaska Native tribal entities which are recognized by the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. For related lists, see the List of Indian reservations in the United States, List of Native American Tribal Entities (federally recognized lower 48 groups) and List of State Recognized American Indian Tribal Entities.
This list pertains only to the state of Alaska, and is maintained by the U.S. Federal Government. For more detail on how Alaska Native villages came to be tracked in this way, see Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971. This version was updated based on Federal Register, Volume 74, Number 183 dated August 11, 2009 (74 FR 40218) "Indian Entities Recognized and Eligible to Receive Services from the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs" (August 11, 2009), when the number of Alaskan Native tribes entities totaled 231.
The list is maintained in alphabetical order with respect to the name of the tribe or village. Leading words such as "Village of" or "Native Village of" are ignored for this purpose. Ancillary information present in former versions of this list but no longer contained in the current listing have been included here in italics print.
Note that while the names of Alaska Native tribal entities often include "Village of" or "Native Village of," in most cases the tribal entity cannot be considered as identical to the city, town, or census-designated place in which the tribe is located, as some residents may be non-tribal members and a separate city government may exist. Nor should Alaska Native tribes be confused with Alaska Native Regional Corporations, which are a class of Alaska for-profit corporations created under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) of 1971.
Federal Registers containing the "Indian Entities Recognized and Eligible To Receive Services From the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs" to which "Federally recognized tribes" and "List of Alaska Native Tribal Entities" derive their listings. To view the Federal Register, please visit The Federal Register page of the GPO.
- Federal Register, Volume 78, Number 87 dated May 6, 2013 (78 FR 26384
- Federal Register, Volume 77, Number 155 dated August 10, 2012 (77 FR 47868)
- Federal Register, Volume 75, Number 190 dated October 1, 2010 (75 FR 60810), with a supplemental listing published in Federal Register, Volume 75, Number 207 dated October 27, 2010 (75 FR 66124)
- Federal Register, Volume 74, Number 153 dated August 11, 2009 (74 FR 40218)
- Federal Register, Volume 73, Number 66 dated April 4, 2008 (73 FR 18553)
- Federal Register, Volume 72, Number 55 dated March 22, 2007 (72 FR 13648)
- Federal Register, Volume 70, Number 226 dated November 25, 2005 (70 FR 71194)
- Federal Register, Volume 68, Number 234 dated December 5, 2003 (68 FR 68180)
- Federal Register, Volume 67, Number 134 dated July 12, 2002 (67 FR 46328)
- Federal Register, Volume 65, Number 49 dated March 13, 2000 (65 FR 13298)
- Federal Register, Volume 63, Number 250 dated December 30, 1998 (63 FR 71941)
- Federal Register, Volume 62, Number 205 dated October 23, 1997 (62 FR 55270)
- Federal Register, Volume 61, Number 220 dated November 13, 1996 (61 FR 58211)
- Federal Register, Volume 60, Number 32 dated February 16, 1995 (60 FR 9250)
- Federal Register, Volume 58, Number 202 dated October 21, 1993 (58 FR 54364)
- Federal Register, Volume 53, Number 250 dated December 29, 1988 (53 FR 52829)
- Federal Register, Volume 47, Number 227 dated November 24, 1982 (47 FR 53133) - First time listing that includes native entities within the state of Alaska
- Federal Register, Volume 44, Number 26 dated February 6, 1979 (44 FR 7235) - First listing of Indian tribal entities within the contiguous 48 states