Khost Province
Get Khost Province essential facts below. View Videos or join the Khost Province discussion. Add Khost Province to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share this resource on social media.
Khost Province
Khost

?
A village in the Nadir Shah Kot District of Khost Province
A village in the Nadir Shah Kot District of Khost Province
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Coordinates (Capital): 33°24?N 69°54?E / 33.4°N 69.9°E / 33.4; 69.9Coordinates: 33°24?N 69°54?E / 33.4°N 69.9°E / 33.4; 69.9
Country Afghanistan
CapitalKhost
Government
 o GovernorHukam Khan Habibi
Area
 o Total4,151.5 km2 (1,602.9 sq mi)
Population
(2015)[1]
 o Total574,582
 o Density140/km2 (360/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+4:30
Area code(s)AF-KHO
Main languagesPashto

Khost (Pashto: ?‎, Persian: ?‎) is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan, located in the eastern part of the country. To the east, Khost Province is bordered by Waziristan and Kurram in Pakistan. Khost Province used to be part of Paktia Province in the past, and the larger region surrounding Khost is still called Loya Paktia ("Greater Paktia").

The city of Khost serves as the capital of Khost province. The population of the province is around 546,800,[2] which is mostly a tribal society. Khost Airport serves the province for domestic flights to Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.

History

Part of a series on the
History of Afghanistan
"Interior of the palace of Shauh Shujah Ool Moolk, Late King of Cabul"
Timeline
Related historical names of the region

In 1924, Khost Province, Then known as Southern Province, was the scene of a rebellion by the Mangal Pashtun Tribe, known as the Khost rebellion. The rebellion was ultimately unsuccessful, and was defeated in 1925 by the Afghan Government.

Politics and governance

The current governor of the Province is Abdul Jabbar Naeemi.[3] The city of Khost is the capital of Khost province. All law enforcement activities throughout the province are controlled by the Afghan National Police (ANP). The border of Afghanistan's Khost province with neighboring Pakistan's FATA is monitored and protected by the Afghan Border Police (ABP), which is part of the ANP. The border is called the Durand Line and is known to be one of the most dangerous in the world due to heavy militant activities and illegal smugglings. A provincial police chief is assigned to lead both the ANP and ABP. The police chief represents the Ministry of the Interior in Kabul. The ANP is backed by other Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).[4]

Healthcare

The percentage of households with clean drinking water increased from 34% in 2005 to 35% in 2011.[5] The percentage of births attended to by a skilled birth attendant increased from 18% in 2005 to 32% in 2011.[5]

Education

The overall literacy rate (6+ years of age) fell from 28% in 2005 to 15% in 2011.[5] The overall net enrolment rate (6-13 years of age) fell from 38% in 2005 to 37% in 2011.[5]

Demographics

Districts of Khost (not showing the Shamal District)

The population of Khost province was estimated to be around 546,800.[2] Other sources put the number at over a million.[6]

The Pashtun people make up 99% of the population, with the remaining 1% being Tajiks and others.[3]

Districts

Districts of Khost province
District Capital Population (2015) Area[7] Notes
Bak 22,561
Gurbuz 26,762
Zazi Maidan 23,197
Khost Matun Khost 140,642
Mandozayi Dadwal 89,602
Musakhel 41,882
Nadir Shah Kot 32,522
Qalandar 10,440
Sabari Yakubi 72,364
Shamal 13,920 Shifted from Paktia Province in 2005
Spera 24,841
Tani Tani 60,842
Tirazayi Aliser 45,602

Water

Khost Province is traversed by the Kurram River, which rises from the Rokian Defile, passes through the district, and then enters the "country of the Turis or the Kurram Valley".[8]

Gallery

See also

References

  1. ^ Afghanistan at GeoHive Archived 2015-07-21 at the Wayback Machine
  2. ^ a b "Settled Population of Khost province by Civil Division, Urban, Rural and Sex-2012-13" (PDF). Islamic Republic of Afghanistan: Central Statistics Organization. Retrieved .
  3. ^ a b "Khost Province" (PDF). Program for Culture & Conflict Studies. Naval Postgraduate School. Retrieved .
  4. ^ Troops Arrive In Khost As Clash With Pakistani Army Continues. TOLOnews. April 15, 2018. Retrieved .
  5. ^ a b c d Archive, Civil Military Fusion Centre, https://www.cimicweb.org/AfghanistanProvincialMap/Pages/Khost.aspx Archived 2014-05-31 at the Wayback Machine
  6. ^ On the Road - Khost Province Season 1 (Pashto) on YouTube, Feb 13, 2012, TOLO/USAIDAfghanistan.
  7. ^ Afghanistan Geographic & Thematic Layers
  8. ^ Imperial gazetteer of India: provincial series, Volume 20. Publisher Supt. of Govt. Print., 1908

External links


  This article uses material from the Wikipedia page available here. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Khost_Province
 



 



 
Music Scenes