Fronting (sound Change)
Get Fronting Sound Change essential facts below. View Videos or join the Fronting Sound Change discussion. Add Fronting Sound Change to your topic list for future reference or share this resource on social media.
Fronting Sound Change

Sound change and alternation

In phonology, fronting is a sound change in which a vowel or consonant becomes fronted, advanced or pronounced farther to the front of the vocal tract than some reference point. The opposite situation, in which a sound becomes pronounced farther to the back of the vocal tract, is called backing or retraction. Fronting may be triggered by a nearby sound, in which case it is a form of assimilation, or may occur on its own.



In i-mutation and Germanic umlaut, a back vowel is fronted under the influence of /i/ or /j/ in a following syllable.[1] This is assimilation.

Vowel shifts

In the Attic and Ionic dialects of Ancient Greek, Proto-Greek close back /u u:/ were fronted to /y y:/. This change occurred in all cases and was not triggered by a nearby front consonant or vowel.

In Old English and Old Frisian, the back vowels /? ?:/ were fronted to /æ æ:/ in certain cases. For more information, see First a-fronting and Second a-fronting.

In many dialects of English, the vowel /u:/ is fronted to [u?:] or [?:], a sound change that is sometimes called goose-fronting.[2] The same sound change occurred in many dialects of Norwegian and Standard Swedish but not in Danish.

Fronting can also take place as part of a chain shift. For example, in the Northern Cities Shift, the raising of /æ/ left room in the low-front area of the vowel space for [?] to expand. Thus, words like cot and father are often pronounced with a low-front vowel [æ].


  1. ^ Campbell, Lyle (2013). Historical Linguistics. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. p. 20. ISBN 978 0 7486 4594 7.
  2. ^ Wong, Amy Wing-mei (October 1, 2014). "GOOSE-fronting among Chinese Americans in New York City". University of Pennsylvania Working Papers in Linguistics. 20 (2).

See also

  • Palatalization refers to a range of sound changes triggered by high or high-front vowels.

  This article uses material from the Wikipedia page available here. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.



Music Scenes