Get Folktronica essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Folktronica discussion
. Add Folktronica
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Folktronica is a genre of music comprising various elements of folk music and electronica, often featuring uses of acoustic instruments - especially stringed instruments - and incorporating hip hop or dance rhythms, although it varies based on influences and choice of sounds.The Ashgate Research Companion to Popular Musicology describes folktronica as "a catch-all [term] for all manner of artists who have combined mechanical dance beats with elements of acoustic rock or folk".
According to The Sunday Times Culture's Encyclopedia of Modern Music, essential albums of the genre are Four Tet's Pause (2001), Tunng's Mother's Daughter and Other Songs (2005), and Caribou's The Milk of Human Kindness (2005).
List of artists
- ^ a b Smyth, David (23 April 2004). "Electrifying folk: Folktronica, new folk, fuzzy folk - call it what you will. Laptops are replacing lutes to create a whole new sound", Evening Standard, p. 31.
- ^ a b Empire, Kitty (27 April 2003). "Up front on the verge: Four Tet, aka Kieran Hebden", The Observer, p. 14.
- ^ a b c d e f g Scott, Derek B. (ed.) (2016). The Ashgate Research Companion to Popular Musicology. Abingdon, UK: Routledge. p. 90. ISBN 978-0-7546-6476-5.
- ^ Clayton, Richard (1 February 2009). "Folktronica: Encyclopedia of Modern Music". Times Online. Archived from the original on 15 June 2011. Retrieved 2010. (password-protected)
- ^ Empire, Kitty (28 September 2014). "Alt-J review - what's all the fussiness about?". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ Ratliff, Ben (June 21, 2004). "Fresh Sounds From Brazil, Straddling Jazz Past and Present", The New York Times, p. E5.
- ^ Sinha-Roy, Piya (13 April 2013). "French indie band Phoenix set to headline Coachella festival". Reuters. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Phelan, Laurence (May 4, 2003). "Discs etc: beautifully weird synths: Four Tet: Rounds domino", The Independent on Sunday, p. 15.
- ^ Jackson, Alan (16 October 2010). "What I've learnt: Ellie Goulding". The Times. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "Folktronica singer Ellie Goulding tops BBC's Sound of 2010". BBC. 8 January 2010. Archived from the original on 12 September 2017. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Harley, Kevin (30 January 2010). "Four Tet: There Is Love in You", The Independent, p. 24
- ^ Brown, Jonathan; Kinnear, Lucy (11 February 2008). "The real school of rock". p. 10., Elliott School is a struggling comprehensive in south London. But it has an astonishing record in nurturing a diverse range of avant-garde pop stars. The Independent. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Cantú, Fernando (June 18, 2006). "Juana Molina: Embajadora de la folktrónica", Reforma, p. 44.
- ^ "KT Tunstall's new album reveals dark side". Daily Campus. 7 October 2010. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "To Love Somebody Melancholy". Time Out. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "The 405 meets Minute Taker". The 405.
- ^ Scott, Neil. "The Mind's Construction Quarterly » Patrick Wolf". www.tmcq.co.uk. Retrieved 2018.