Disorder (Band UK)
Strong Mind Japan
- Taf (Phil Lovering)
- Alex Upchuck
- Chris "Boobs" Neil
- Steve Allen
- Neil "Virus" Worthington
- Chris Wheelie/Chris Willsher
- Kenneth Eggen
- Rudy Hoykens
- Tor Degerstrøm
- Stian Løken
- Gunnar Holm
Disorder are a hardcore punk band that formed in the Bristol area of the United Kingdom in 1980, and has existed with varying line-ups to this day. Disorder are a band who aligned with politically charged punk bands .
Disorder formed in 1980 in Bristol. The original line-up was Steve Curtis (vocals), Steve Allen (guitar), Nick Peters (bass guitar), and Virus (drums), although Steve Robertson soon replaced Peters, and this line-up recorded the first two EP's by the band. The band sent a demo tape to local punk label Riot City Records, but the label opted not to sign them, and instead they formed their own Disorder Records label along with Heartbeat Records and Riot City boss Simon Edwards. A series of events led to line-up changes: Robertson split up with girlfriend Beki Bondage (of Vice Squad) and began glue-sniffing. Virus got into trouble with the police over the ownership of his new drumkit, and Dean also left, later to be employed as a toilet cleaner in Taunton. He was replaced by Taf (Phil Lovering, formerly of The X-Certs), who took over bass guitar duties. Taf would be the only constant member of the band in the years that followed, which saw an ever-changing line-up. Disorder were part of the "protest punk" movement, and were one of the bands that spearheaded the Bristol punk scene in the early 1980s. The BBC DJ John Peel described their early singles as sounding like Triumph Bonneville motorbikes.
The band's debut album, Under the Scalpel Blade, was released in 1984. The band relocated to Norway in the mid-1980s, where they recorded a split album with Kafka Prosess.
The band became popular across Europe, the United States, and Japan. Re-issues of the band's back-catalogue led to renewed interest from fans, and the band issued a new album in 2005, Kamikaze, considered by allmusic's Stewart Mason "as brash and invigorating as any of Disorder's earlier releases".
The longest standing member of the band Taf (bassist/guitarist) normally assembles other musicians to record albums or go on tour. Recent tours have seen the band perform with the line-up consisting of Taffy, Ben (ex Spitroast / Social Parasites / The Diskarded), Nick Elliss (ex Bad Blood).
In recent years the band have toured extensively in Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Slovenia, Italy, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece, and of course the UK.
Chart placings shown are from the UK Indie Chart.
- Complete Disorder EP (Disorder, 1981) (#29)
- Distortion to Deafness EP (Disorder, 1981) (#9)
- "Perdition"-8 songs 12". (Disorder Records) 1982
- Mental Disorder EP (Disorder, 1983) (#16)
- More Noize EP (Filthy Fucking Punx, 1988)
- Pain, Headache, Depression EP (Trujaca Fala, 1994)
- We're Still Here (Counteract Recordings 2002)
- Kamikaze (Anagram, 2005)
- Dawn of the Miserables (Split with Vivere Merda, 2014)
- "UK V's Japan Noizecore wars"-Disorder/Stagnation split ep. 8 songs. Strong Mind Japan 2015.
- Under the Scalpel Blade (Disorder Records], 1984) (#7)
- Gi Faen I Nasjonaliteten Din Live (Live in Oslo) (Disorder, 1985)
- One Day Son, All This Will Be Yours (Disorder, 1986) (split with Kafka Prosess)
- Violent World (Disorder, 1989)
- Masters of the Glueniverse (Desperate Attempt, 1991) (split with Mushroom Attack)
- Senile Punks.. (Bastard records, Slovakia. 1991)
- Sliced Punx on Meathooks (Anagram, 1997)
- "UK V's Japan Noizecore Wars 2, disorder/stagnation split cd- Strong Mind Japan 2015
- "Human Cargo" CD Album-Disorder Records-2016.
- "Live In Sneek"-Cassette Album, Black Konflik Records. 2016.
- "VIVA EL SQUATO" CD Album-Strong Mind Japan 2018
- Complete Disorder: The Singles 12" EP (Disorder, 1984)
- Under the Scalpel Blade/One Day Son... CD (Anagram, 1995)
- Senile Punks (Bastard Records , Czech republic circa 1994)
- Live in Oslo/Violent World CD (Anagram, 1995)
- The Rest Home for Senile Old Punks Proudly Present... Disorder (Anagram, 1996)
- Driller Killer - The Collection CD (Cleopatra, 1995)
- The Best of Disorder CD (Anagram, 1998)
- Total Disorder (Dead Ringer, 2003)
- Riot City Years 81 - 83 (Step 1, 2005)
- Punk and Disorderly LP (Abstract/Posh Boy, 1982): "Complete Disorder"
- Punk and Disorderly vol. 2 LP (Anagram, 1983): "More than Fights
- UK/DK LP (Cherry Red, 1983): "Life"
- Blitz Hits 2LP (1989): "Today's World"
- I Kill What I Eat CD (Eccocentric, 1993): "Violent World"
- We Are Gonna Fight Back Against The Pig Bastards Until We Are Dead CD (Fight Men, ?): ?
- "Euthanasia #2-The Sticky Solution" CD-Wild Arena Records. Bristol Punk Compilation 2016.
- 20 Years in a Van (Cherry Red, 2007)
- Live in Yugoslavia 1988 (Disorder Film)
- Lve at the Queens Head (Disorder film)
- Compilation appearances
- Burning Britain: The History of UK Punk 1980-1984 - The DVD (2004) Cherry Red: "Life"
- 1979 Complete Disorder Stephen Curtis/Steve Allen/Neil Worthington/Nick Peters
- 1981 Distortion til Deafness Stephen Curtis/Steve Allen/Neil Worthington/Steve Robinson
- 1982 Perdition Taf (bass), Steve Allen (guitar), Chris Neill (vocals) & Richard Potts (drums)
- 1984 Under the Scalpel Blade Taf (bass), Steve Allen (guitar), Chris Neil (vocals) & Richard Potts (drums)
- 1985 Taf (bass), Steve Allen (guitar), Neill (vocals) & Glen ?(drums)
- 1986 One Day Son... Taf (bass & vocals), Steve Allen (guitar) & Carl Allsop (drums)
- 1989 Violent World Taf (bass & vocals), Steve Allen (guitar) & Kenneth Eggen (drums)
- 1992 Masters of the Glueniverse Taf (bass & vocals), Steve Allen (guitar), Rudy Hoykens (vocals) & Tor Degerstrøm (drums), TK ?(other guitars)
- 2000-2002 Taf (bass/vocals), Goz (guitar), Yaga (guitar) and Chris Wheelie (of The Bus Station Loonies and Oi Polloi) (drums)
- 2002-2007 Taf (guitar and vocals), Nick Ellis (bass guitar), Jon springer (drums)
- 2007 Taf (guitar and vocals), Nick Ellis (bass guitar), Toni/Ben (drums)
- 2008 Taf (guitar/bass, vocals), Nick Ellis (bass guitar), Ben (drums), Nikos Pappos(guitar)
- 2009 Taf (bass guitar and vocals), Nick Ellis (guitar), Ben (drums)
- 2010 Taf (bass and vocal), Ben (drums), William Melrose (guitar)
- 2011 Taf (bass guitar and vocals), Nick Ellis (ex Bad Blood and Shock Treatment)(guitar), John Springer (ex Bad Blood and The Yuk Yuks)(drums)
- 2013 UK vs Japan Noise Core Wars Taf (bass guitar and vocals), Jon Springer (ex bad blood) (drums), Nick Ellis (guitar).
- 2015 UK vs Japan Noise Core Wars II Taf (bass guitar and vocals), Jon (drums), Alex Upchuck (ex Thunderdump and Demonic Upchucks)(guitar).
- 2016 Human Cargo Taf (bass guitar and vocals), Jon (drums), Alex Upchuck (guitar).
- 2018 Viva El Squato Taf (bass guitar and vocals), Jon (drums), Alex Upchuck (guitar).
- ^ Ankeny, Jason "Disorder overview", allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- ^ a b c d e Glasper, Ian (2004) "Burning Britain: The History of UK Punk 1980-1984", Cherry Red Books, ISBN 1-901447-24-3
- ^ Thompson, Dave (2000) "Alternative Rock", Miller Freeman Books, ISBN 978-0-87930-607-6
- ^ a b c Strong, Martin C. (1999) "The Great Alternative & Indie Discography", Canongate Books, ISBN 0-86241-913-1
- ^ a b c Larkin, Colin (ed.) (1995) "The Guinness Encyclopedia of Popular Music", Guinness Publishing, ISBN 978-0-85112-662-3
- ^ Webb, Peter (2007) "Once Upon a Time in Bristol", The Wire, October 2007
- ^ "Disorder Interview", Skull & Crossbones No. 6, 1988
- ^ Whiteley, Sheila, Bennett, Andy, & Hawkins, Stan (2005) Music, Space and Place: Popular Music and Cultural Identity, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, ISBN 978-0-7546-5574-9
- ^ Mason, Stewart "Kamikaze review", allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- ^ Lazell, Barry (1997). Indie Hits 1980-1999. Cherry Red Books. ISBN 0-9517206-9-4.