Get Dehonian essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Dehonian discussion
. Add Dehonian
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
The Mission Statement Logo of the Priests of the Sacred Heart (Dehonians). The "Open Heart and Mind" mission statement and logo was approved by the General Curia in 2017.
The Priests of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (also known Dehonians in reference to their founder, Leo John Dehon, or as SCJs, the initials that stand for Sacerdotes Cordis Jesu, the congregation's name in Latin) is a Roman Catholic religious congregation of priests and brothers. The order was founded in northern France in Saint-Quentin, Aisne, Picardy by Léon Dehon (Leo John Dehon) in 1878.
The congregation is located in over 40 countries on five continents. It is headquartered in Rome; Fr. Carlos Luis Suarez Codorniú, SCJ, is the current superior general.
- Vénérable Léon Dehon (28 June 1878 - 12 August 1925)
- Joseph Philippe, SCJ (20 January 1926 - 24 October 1935)
- Theodorus Govaart, SCJ (24 October 1935 - 7 September 1953)
- Alphons Lellig, SCJ (11 January 1954 - 13 December 1958)
- Joseph de Palma, SCJ (15 July 1959 - 6 June 1967)
- Albert Bourgeois, SCJ (6 June 1967 - 6 June 1979)
- Antonio Panteghini, SCJ (6 June 1979 - 24 May 1991)
- Virginio Bressanelli, SCJ (24 May 1991 - 27 May 2003)
- José Ornelas Carvalho, SCJ (27 May 2003 - 25 May 2015)
- Heiner Wilmer, SCJ (25 May 2015 - 6 April 2018)
- Carlos Enrique Caamaño Martín, SCJ (6 April 2018 - 20 July 2018)
- Carlos Luis Suarez Codorniú, SCJ (20 July 2018 - )