Get Antrum essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Antrum discussion
. Add Antrum
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
In biology, antrum is a general term for a cavity or chamber, which may have specific meaning in reference to certain organs or sites in the body.
In vertebrates, it may refer specifically to:
- Antrum follicularum, the cavity in the epithelium that envelops the oocyte
- Mastoid antrum, a cavity between the middle ear and temporal bone in the skull
- Stomach antrum, either
- Pyloric antrum, the lower portion of the stomach. This is what is usually referred to as "antrum" in stomach-related topics,
- or Antrum cardiacum, a dilation that occurs in the esophagus near the stomach (forestomach)
- Maxillary antrum or antrum of Highmore, the maxillary sinus, a cavity in the maxilla and the largest of the paranasal sinuses
In invertebrates, it may refer specifically to: