Get Anthony Baines essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Anthony Baines discussion
. Add Anthony Baines
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Anthony Cuthbert Baines (1912-1997)  was an English organologist who produced a wide variety of works on the history of musical instruments, and was a founding member of the Galpin Society.
He attended Westminster School and then read for a degree in Chemistry at Christ Church, Oxford. He subsequently won a scholarship to the Royal College of Music as a bassoon player, and went on to perform with the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Brass instruments: their history and development (reprinted 1993)
- Woodwind Instruments and Their History (reprinted 1991)
- European and American musical instruments (1983)
- Musical instruments through the ages (Pelican, 1961) ISBN 0-14-020347-8
- Bagpipes, Anthony Baines, ISBN 0-902793-10-1, Pitt Rivers Museum, Univ. of Oxford, 3rd edition, 1995 147 pages with plates.
- ^ Obituary in Early Music (1997) XXV (2): 345-346, doi:10.1093/earlyj/XXV.2.345.
- ^ Experimental musical instruments, Volumes 12-13, 1996
- ^ Baines, A.C., ed., Musical Instruments through the ages, Middlesex: Pelican Books, cover text.