Get 2001 in Architecture essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 2001 in Architecture discussion
. Add 2001 in Architecture
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
2001 in Architecture
The year 2001 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
Buildings and structures
Gateshead Millennium Bridge
- March 17 - Eden Project, St Austell, Cornwall, UK, designed by Nicholas Grimshaw & Partners.
- April - Magna Science Adventure Centre, Rotherham, Yorkshire, UK, designed by Wilkinson Eyre. It wins this year's Stirling Prize.
- May 4
- June 28 - Gehry Tower (designed by Frank Gehry) in Hanover, Germany.
- June 30 - National Space Centre, Leicester, England, by Nicholas Grimshaw & Partners.
- September 9
- September 17 - Gateshead Millennium Bridge, a pedestrian tilt bridge for spanning the River Tyne, UK, designed by architects Wilkinson Eyre and structural engineers Gifford. It wins the 2002 Stirling Prize.
- November 15 - Palms Casino Resort in Paradise, Nevada, USA, designed by The Jerde Partnership.
- November 21 - Cologne Tower inaugurated; designed by Kohl & Kohl and Jean Nouvel.
- December 10 - Puente de la Mujer, a pedestrian swing cantilever spar cable-stayed bridge spanning a dock in Buenos Aires, Argentina, designed by Santiago Calatrava, inaugurated.
- December 11 - American Folk Art Museum in New York City, USA, inaugurated; designed by Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects.
- October 30 - Redevelopment of Gasometer, Vienna, by Jean Nouvel, Coop Himmelb(l)au, Manfred Wehdorn and Wilhelm Holzbauer is completed.
- date unknown
- 88 Wood Street office building, City of London, by Richard Rogers.
- Caja General de Ahorros, Granada, by Alberto Campo Baeza.
- Betty and Gordon Moore Library in the Centre for Mathematical Sciences (Cambridge), UK, designed by Edward Cullinan Architects.
- Telekom Tower building, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- One Wall Centre opens in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, by architects Perkins+Will Canada.
- Ku'damm-Eck (office building) in Berlin, Germany, by Gerkan, Marg und Partner.
- Neues Kranzler Eck (office building) in Berlin, Germany, by Helmut Jahn.
- Tower 2000, the first building in the Moscow International Business Centre, Russia.
- Work on the Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim, Norway, is officially completed.
- Exhibition building at Scotland's National Museum of Rural Life completed by Page\Park Architects.
- Building D, Giudecca, Venice, by Cino Zucchi.
- Jacobs Ladder (house) at Chinnor, England, by Niall McLaughlin Architects.