Get 1989 in Science essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1989 in Science discussion
. Add 1989 in Science
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1989 in Science
The year 1989 in science and technology involved many significant events, some listed below.
Physiology and medicine
- The Oxford Database of Perinatal Trials begins publishing online.
- The hepatitis C virus (HCV) is first identified.
- February 27 - Konrad Lorenz (born 1903), Austrian zoologist.
- March 18 - Sir Harold Jeffreys (born 1891), English mathematician.
- April 24 - Horace Hodes (born 1907), American medical researcher.
- August 10 - Isabella Forshall (born 1900), English pediatric surgeon.
- August 12 - William Shockley (born 1910), American physicist.
- August 20 - George Adamson (born 1906), British wildlife conservationist.
- August 29 - Sir Peter Scott (born 1909), English wildlife conservationist.
- October 11 - M. King Hubbert (born 1903), American geophysicist.
- October 28 - Louise Hay (born 1935), French-born American mathematician; breast cancer.
- December 14 - Andrei Sakharov (born 1921), Soviet Russian nuclear physicist and political dissident.