Get Unless essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Unless discussion
. Add Unless
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
onlesse, from on lesse, from "on a less condition" ("on" became un-).
- (key): /?n'l?s/, /?n'l?s/
- Rhymes: -?s
- Except on a specified condition; if not.
- I'm leaving unless I get a pay rise (AmE: raise).
- 1839, Denison Olmsted, A Compendium of Astronomy Page 95
- Secondly, When a body is once in motion it will continue to move forever, unless something stops it. When a ball is struck on the surface of the earth, the friction of the earth and the resistance of the air soon stop its motion.
1971, Dr. Seuss, The Lorax:
Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...nothing is going to get better...It's not.
- If not; used with counterfactual conditionals.
- 1159, John of Salisbury, Policraticus, edited by Cary J. Nederman, Cambridge University Press, 1990, page 3 (Google Books view):
- Who would know of Alexander or Caesar, or would respect the Stoics or the Peripatetics, unless they had been distinguished by the memorials of writers?
- Bible (King James Version), 2 Samuel 2:27
- And Joab said, As God liveth, unless thou hadst spoken, surely then in the morning the people had gone up every one from following his brother.
- 1867, William Robinson Pirie, Natural Theology: An Inquiry Into the Fundamental Principles of Religious, Moral, and Political Science, page 75 (Google Books view):
- Unless He were omnipotent, we could not be sure of His ability to bless us.
- Except if; used with hypothetical conditionals.
- 1809, The Naval Chronicle for 1809: Containing a General and Biographical History of the Royal Navy of the United Kingdom with a Variety of Original Papers on Nautical Subjects. Vol. XXII. (from July to December), Cambridge University Press, 2010, page 482 (Google Books view):
- Q. If Lieutenant P. had given the word "Fire," would you have fired, and at what?--A. I should not have known, unless he had told me what to fire at.
- 1847, Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, Chapter III
- Lie down and finish out the night, since you are here; but, for heaven's sake! don't repeat that horrid noise: nothing could excuse it, unless you were having your throat cut!
- 1981, Arthur C. Danto, The Transfiguration of the Commonplace: A Philosophy of Art, page 118 (Google Books view):
- Suppose Breugel had done the whole painting with no legs. Then, titled as it is, it would be mystifying, unless someone were to say: the boy has fallen in the waters and they have closed over him, calm is restored, life goes on (as in The Israelites Crossing the Red Sea).
- (except on a condition): if
except on a specified condition
- Afrikaans: tensy
- Albanian: po të mos
- Amharic: (bästä?är)
- Arabic: (ar) (?ill?), (?ill? ?i)
- Armenian: ?- (et?e -)
- Azerbaijani: ?g?r (az)
- Bashkir: please add this translation if you can
- Basque: salbu
- Belarusian: (kalí nje)
- Bengali: please add this translation if you can
- Bulgarian: (osven ako)
- Burmese: ? (ma.huthlyang)
- Catalan: a menys que, llevat que, tret que, fora que
- Cherokee: please add this translation if you can
- Cantonese: (ceoi4 fei1)
- Mandarin: (zh) (chúf?i)
- Czech: dokud ne
- Danish: medmindre, undtagen (obsolete)
- Dutch: tenzij (nl)
- Esperanto: kondi?e ke ... ne
- Estonian: please add this translation if you can
- Faroese: please add this translation if you can
- Finnish: ellei (fi), jollei (fi)
- French: à moins que (fr), sauf si
- Georgian: (tu ar)
- German: wenn nicht, es sei denn
- Greek: (ektós an), ? ? (pará móno an)
- Ancient: (e? mí)
- Gujarati: ? (jy sudh?)
- Hawaiian: ke ole
- Hebrew: (formal) (he) (ilmalé), (ela im ken)
- Hindi: (jab tak)
- Hungarian: hacsak nem, kivéve ha (hu)
- Icelandic: nema (is)
- Indonesian: kecuali (id)
- Irish: mura
- Italian: a meno che (it), se non (it)