Get Thingness essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Thingness discussion
. Add Thingness
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
thing + -ness
thingness (usually uncountable, plural thingnesses)
- The quality of a material thing; objectivity; actuality; reality.
- 1994, Shadia B Drury, Alexandre Kojève 
- To live as a thing, to live for another and as the other expects, is to live unauthentically or in bad faith. To be true to oneself, one must reduce others to thingness and resist being so reduced.
1998, William C Chittick, The Self-Disclosure of God:
Whether we dwell in the thingness of fixity or the thingness of wuj?d, we are "at" the wuj?d of the Real.
2002, Kai Hammermeister, The German Aesthetic Tradition:
The thingness of a thing precedes the conscious perception of its sensual properties.
- "thingness", Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/thingness> [Retrieved January 8, 2005].
- "thingness", Encarta World English Dictionary, <http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861719723> [Retrieved January 8, 2005].
- "thingness", Random House Unabridged Dictionary (1997) <http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/thingness> [Retrieved January 8, 2005].