Get Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Sports discussion
. Add Sports
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
sport + -s
- plural of sport
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of sport
sports (third-person singular simple present sportses, present participle sportsing, simple past and past participle sportsed)
- To participate in sports; typically used by a person with little interest in the subject to derisively elide details of the activity in question.
1981, Broadcasting, Broadcasting Publications, page 84:
But I have a feeling that in many senses the American consumer is getting over-sportsed.
2011, Sean Ahern, What It Tastes Like to Be Sane, self-published through Lulu.com, page 140:
And so sports they did! They put on their very own athletic shorts and jerseys and headed down to the field. There, they met other people similarly attired, who also desired to sports with them. And so they sportsed.
- (Can we date this quote by unknown and provide title, author's full name, and other details?)
- There's a lot of sportsing happening in Brazil this summer. [said of the 2014 FIFA World Cup]
- plural of sport
Probably via other European languages, ultimately borrowed from English sport.
sports m (1st declension)
- sport, sports
nodarboties ar sportu - to occupy oneself with, to practice sports
sporta veidi - (types of) sports
sporta b?ve / sporta b?ze - gymnasium, sports facility
sporta skola - sports school
sporta medic?na - sports medicine
sporta meistars - sports master
cas sports - martial arts (lit. fighting sports)
sl?po?ana ir pat?kams sports - skiing is an enjoyable sport
- activity about which one is passionate
so?ana vi?am ir sports - mushroom picking is a sport to him
Declension of sports (1st declension)
- supine passive of spörja.