Get N%C3%A3o essential facts below. View Videos
or join the N%C3%A3o discussion
. Add N%C3%A3o
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
- Alternative form of nãu
- naõ (obsolete)
- nam (obsolete)
- nom (obsolete, nonstandard)
- num (nonstandard or eye dialect)
- n (abbreviation)
From Old Portuguese non, from Latin n?n ("no"), from Old Latin noenum, from Proto-Indo-European *ne ("not") + *óynos ("one")
não (not comparable)
- (preceding verbs or adverbs) not; do not; have not (negates the meaning of the verb or adverb)
Eu não li esse livro.
- I haven't read this book.
Não faça isso.
- Don't do this.
- (preceding verbs) used in sentences containing a negative pronoun as the object; see double negative
Eu não fiz nada.
- I didn't do anything.
- (literally, "I didn't do nothing.")
- (colloquial, following verb phrases) used to emphasise or reinforce (in the case that there is a previous unstressed adverb não, see above) sentences containing a negative pronoun as the subject or already containing não
Ninguém vai ser preso não.
- Nobody is going to be arrested really.
Não vi o João não.
- I haven't seen John, no.
- (beginning questions) isn't (used to ask whether a person agrees with the proposition, rather than to ask for an unknown fact)
Não está ruim esse chá?
- Isn't this tea bad?
- (preceding adjectives, usually hyphenated) non- (forms antonyms of adjectives)
Esse sistema é não-escalável.
- This system is non-scalable.
- (as a sentence-final parenthesis) isn't it? right? (tag question)
Ela está aqui, não?
- She is here, right?
For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:não.
- no (used to show disagreement or negation)
- no (used to show agreement with a negative question)
- (shows disagreement): negativo
- (shows agreement with a negative question): positivo
não m (plural nãos)
- no (a negative answer)
Hoje recebi duas respostas: um sim e um não.
- Today I received two answers: a yes and a no.
Sino-Vietnamese word from ?.
(classifier b?) não
- brain, cerebrum
- Synonym: óc