Get Dragoon essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Dragoon discussion
. Add Dragoon
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Borrowed from French dragon.
dragoon (plural dragoons)
- (military) A horse soldier; a cavalryman, who uses a horse for mobility, but fights dismounted.
- 1881, W. S. Gilbert, Patience
- If you want a receipt for that popular mystery,
Known to the world as a Heavy Dragoon -
Take all the remarkable people in history,
Rattle them off to a popular tune!
- His forefathers had been, as a rule, professional men—physicians and lawyers; his grandfather died under the walls of Chapultepec Castle while twisting a tourniquet for a cursing dragoon; an uncle remained indefinitely at Malvern Hill; [...].
- A carrier of a dragon musket.
- A variety of pigeon.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Clarke to this entry?)
carrier of a dragon musket
dragoon (third-person singular simple present dragoons, present participle dragooning, simple past and past participle dragooned)
- (transitive) To force (someone) into doing something; to coerce.
- Synonym: compel
- (transitive) To surrender (a person) to the fury of soldiers.
to force someone into doing something; to coerce
- Bulgarian: (bg) (prinu?davam)