Get Diagnosis essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Diagnosis discussion
. Add Diagnosis
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
From Latin diagn?sis, from Ancient Greek (diágn?sis), from (diagign?sk?, "to discern"), from (diá, "through") + (gign?sk?, "to know").
diagnosis (countable and uncountable, plural diagnoses)
- (medicine) The identification of the nature and cause of an illness.
He was given the wrong treatment due to an erroneous diagnosis.
2012 January 1, Philip E. Mirowski, "Harms to Health from the Pursuit of Profits", in American Scientist, volume 100, number 1, page 87:
In an era when political leaders promise deliverance from decline through America's purported preeminence in scientific research, the news that science is in deep trouble in the United States has been as unwelcome as a diagnosis of leukemia following the loss of health insurance.
- The identification of the nature and cause of something (of any nature).
- 1887, Charles L. Reade and Compton Reade, Charles Reade, Dramatist, Novelist, Journalist: A Memoir
- The quick eye for effects, the clear diagnosis of men's minds, and the love of epigram.
- 1887, James Payn, Glow-worm tales
- My diagnosis of his character proved correct.
- (taxonomy) A written description of a species or other taxon serving to distinguish that species from all others. Especially, a description written in Latin and published.
1992, Rudolf M[athias] Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press, ->ISBN, page viii:
The repeated exposure, over decades, to most taxa here treated has resulted in repeated modifications of both diagnoses and discussions, as initial ideas of the various taxa underwent--often repeated--conceptual modification.
identification of the nature and cause of an illness
identification of the nature and cause of something
written description of a taxon
- (nonstandard) Synonym of diagnose
diagnosis f (plural diagnosis)