Get Chortle essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Chortle discussion
. Add Chortle
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Perhaps a blend of chuckle + snort. Coined by Lewis Carroll in his poem Jabberwocky, first published in 1855 but only introduced to the public in his 1871 novel Through the Looking-Glass.
chortle (plural chortles)
- A joyful, somewhat muffled laugh, rather like a snorting chuckle.
- He frequently interrupted himself with chortles while he told us his favorite joke.
- A similar sounding vocalisation of various birds.
joyful, somewhat muffled laugh
chortle (third-person singular simple present chortles, present participle chortling, simple past and past participle chortled)
- (intransitive) To laugh with a chortle or chortles.
- The old fellow chortled as he recalled his youthful adventures.
to laugh with a chortle or chortles