Get As of Right essential facts below. View Videos
or join the As of Right discussion
. Add As of Right
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
As of Right
as of right
- (law) by virtue of an entitlement or authority which arises from certain legal conditions or circumstances; by operation of law.
- To acquire a right of way by long use, a claimant must show use as of right, peaceably, openly and without permission
- He may appeal the ruling as of right.
- Parliament shall sit as of right.
- The Constitutional Council shall, as of right, carry out such an examination.
The term describes the situation in which someone can do something by himself or without having to obtain permission from anyone else, in so far as certain legal requirements are satisfied.
For example, in some jurisdictions, appeals may be discretionary or as of right. If an appeal is discretionary, an appellate body may can choose to allow or not to allow it. But if it is as of right, the appellate body is obliged to hear it as long as relevant criteria are met. Or when a judicial body conducts a procedural act as of right, the judicial body conducts the act on its own impulse as permitted by some legal provisions.