Get Proto-Indo-European essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Proto-Indo-European discussion
. Add Proto-Indo-European
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
proto- + Indo-European
- (UK) (key): /?p?tnd?()?j'pi:?n/, /-?j?:'-/, (US) (key): /?p?oto?ndoj'pi.?n/
- (linguistics, uncountable) The reconstructed ancestor language or protolanguage of the Indo-European family of languages, which includes most European, Iranian, and Indian languages.
ancestor language of most European and Indian languages
Proto-Indo-European (plural Proto-Indo-Europeans)
- (anthropology, countable) A person who spoke the Proto-Indo-European language.
person who spoke the Proto-Indo-European language
Proto-Indo-European (not comparable)
- (linguistics, anthropology) Of or pertaining to the Proto-Indo-European language, or the people who spoke it.
pertaining to the Proto-Indo-European language, or the people who spoke it -- See also translations at Indo-European
Proto-Indo-European is the hypothetical ancestor language of many languages, including the following major groups:
- ^ Wells, John C. Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, 3rd ed. Longman, 2008. isbn 9781405881180.